“Nice stop on a drive on Sunday ”

Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site
Ranked #4 of 47 things to do in Dahlonega
More attraction details
Owner description: This site tells the story of the Gold Rush of 1828.
Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

Nice little town to visit and walk around . Love the small tasting rooms on the Main Street also the historic aspect of the town .

All reviews
in 46 reviews
"brick"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed learning about all of the history around the gold in this area
Great displays
Excellent movie

Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

I had some time to kill in downtown Dahlonega, so I decided to finally check out the old courthouse that I’ve driven around 3 million times in my life. It’s apparently the oldest public building in North Georgia (guessing the 1820 clock tower in Fayetteville doesn’t count as a building – otherwise looks like we’ve got a potential battle for claiming rights) and I think it’s great that they use it as a museum for Dahlonega’s gold rush history. Too often there are grand old buildings that you can only observe from the outside – always a nice rush to step through the doors (and the “rush” here is doubly appropriate).

That said, there’s not really much to this museum. The $7 State Historic Site entry gets you three small rooms downstairs and a large upstairs room that shows a Gold Rush video on the half-hour in one half of the room and a large table that details more of the courthouse history on the other half. The video, even though only 10 years old, still feels a little dated and is the most informative display in the museum – though you just really gloss over the main details (basically: aprocryphal tale where a guy stumbles over a golden rock, people go nuts, Native Americans get drummed out, and mining companies swarm in with hydraulic cannons). 4th grade history told on a 4th grade level – which is great if you’re a 4th grader but it left a bit to be desired with me regarding both the Native American tragedy and the actual gold rush itself. If you’re really interested in the latter, you’ll get a slight taste of it here but you’ll get much more out of a tour at one of the local gold mines.

I will say though that I did come out with a neat bit of knowledge – contrary to what I thought, the first established Gold Rush town in Georgia (and therefore the USA) was the nearby community of Auraria, which as you might surmise from the name established itself immediately after the discovery. Despite my North Georgia roots I had never heard of Auraria and a quick GPS search revealed it’s only 10 minutes away from downtown Dahlonega (and even on a path that ties you back into GA-400 if you’re heading south afterwards). It’s essentially a ghost town now – an attractive ruin of what was apparently the town tavern stands at an intersection alongside a state historical plaque. It might not look like much, but the quiet history of this little spot speaks to a bit of the past that you’d never guess otherwise. A pretty cool discovery, thanks to this otherwise modest museum.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

I love the North Georgia mountains, and especially this little beauty situated there. Site of the less famous gold rush, Dahlonega is a wonderful destination.
Friendly people, gorgeous scenery and underappreciated history - Dahlonega deserves more recognition.

1  Thank 738DavidD738
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

We decided to run through this museum on our first evening in Dahlonega. We were going to the gold mine the next day and wanted to build excitement for our son. I had read other reviews saying you could go through the museum in about 30 minutes. When we got there they were going to be closing in about 25 minutes. The lady that sold us our tickets was very nice. Georgia was having a bogo on their admission tickets so we saved a little money. We had time to look at everything and the employee asked us if we had any questions. We didn’t feel rushed at all. The kids bought souvenirs and wanted to go to the real gold mine. Even though the museum is small it is worth a visit especially if you are going to the Mine. Stop here first.