“Wonderful B&B Experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dahlonega
Cedar House Inn & Yurts
Ranked #2 of 8 Dahlonega B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Pensacola, Florida
“Wonderful B&B Experience!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Chickadee Room @ Cedar House Inn this past weekend. It was our first B&B experience and it exceeded all expectations. Mary Beth & Fred were wonderful hosts - very friendly and helpful with ideas of what to do around town- but still gave us space to relax and do our own thing. Mary Beth was a fabulous cook! One of the reasons their B&B looked so appealing to me was because I saw on her website that they both live a vegetarian, eco-friendly lifestyle. If anything I would go back for the breakfasts alone though! :) Fred was very sweet and showed us around the property and explained the art of permaculture to us. We plan to return someday and stay in their yurts when it gets warmer. All and all we had a wonderful visit in Dahlonega and Mary Beth and Fred made our stay that much more special. Thank you! :D
xoxo
Valerie & Ryan

Room Tip: Chickadee Room was very comfortable with an outside door to the room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Big Canoe
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Booked a weekend of both fun & relaxation at the Cedar House Inn & Yurts. We were able to do just that! Curling up with a book in the Cardinal Suite was pure joy, then onto a good time at the local wineries only to finish up with the Amy Ray concert at Crimson Moon - made for the perfect combination. Breakfast was delicious and the conversation was entertaining. Weekend also turned into a learning experience on living green that we will incorporate into our lives at home. Thanks to Mary Beth and Fred for adding to our great weekend - your home is refreshing! M&K

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martha202
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Cedar House Inn and Yurts lived up to all the hype, and then some! My boyfriend and I stayed in the Mountain Bluebird Room over New Year's Eve, and it was fantastic. We just moved here from Oregon, and staying at the Cedar House was like a breath of fresh air and normalcy for us in Georgia. We instantly felt happy, comfortable, and at peace.

Fred and Mary Beth were incredibly friendly, kind, generous hosts. They were happy to accommodate my gluten intolerance, and Mary Beth baked the best chocolate chip gluten free cookies that I've ever had. She also went out of her way to make special breakfasts for me (including gluten free waffles and a crustless quiche), even though the rest of the guests were not gluten free. In addition to the food, they were warm, welcoming and so much fun to talk with. We had great discussions about the environment, politics, education, religion (the list goes on) late into the night -- but I will be sure to point out that we were the ones hoping they'd stick around and talk with us, since they were very careful to not be overbearing or hovering. They were open, honest, and happy to share their own view and philosophy on life when asked.

The room was clean, quiet and very private. We had our own entrance and could come and go as we pleased. The place was decorated beautifully for Christmas, and Fred and Mary Beth even offered us the run of the downstairs on New Years Eve (even though we were happy for them to join us). Our days were spent relaxing, hiking, and generally enjoying the outdoors.

Overall, it was just such a wonderful experience, far better than we had hoped, and we can't wait to return as often as possible. THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 December 2011

By far the best B&B experience we've ever had. Fred and Mary Beth are fantastic hosts with whom we instantly established a great rapport. Their friendly, progressive, and environmentally responsible philosophy is reflected in the way they welcome their guests and care for their surroundings. Their inn is cozy, clean, and inviting, and it was wonderful to have our request for vegan breakfast so easily accommodated. We can't wait to return for more delicious food and great conversation in their beautiful woodland setting.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 16 November 2011

What's a yurt? That's a question I had a few months ago. But, now having stayed in one, I can tell you all about it! My girlfriend brought up the idea (she had stayed there once before) and at first I was a little leery, but being an avid outdoors-man, I couldn't pass this up. So, for those who don't know: a yurt is small, wood-frame structure that's traditionally portable. Basically, it's a larger, more permanent tent. The frame is covered with felt, canvas, etc… The yurts at Cedar House Inn & Yurts are fairly large (about 200 sq. feet) and have a bed, sitting area, heater, microwave, mini-fridge and composting toilet (which should be used for emergencies or middle of the night, really…you do have access to a private bathroom attached to the main house/inn, with running water/shower).

Ok, so on to the actual review: I made the reservation online at the Cedar House Inn & Yurts website on Sunday for a Monday night stay. I received a confirmation e-mail shortly (I'd say within 2 hours). When we arrived, Fred greeted us by name and introduced us to his wife, Mary Beth. We were given some chai tea and cookies while they explained the yurt rules/procedures to us, planned our breakfast for the next morning and got the financials out of the way. They were very welcoming hosts.

The yurt was roomy enough for two people and had plenty of space. The yurts are down a short path from the main house in a wooded area. Luckily, it was raining, so the sound coming from the roof was very serene and only added to the ambiance. We did have to walk to the bathhouse in the drizzle, but it was no problem and added to the charm.

We didn't see Fred or Mary Beth until the next morning (they aren't the prying, overbearing type; they did tell us to feel free to come into the inn until 10 PM if we wanted more chai/cookies). When we arrived at our breakfast time, they were very welcoming and were just finishing up the breakfast (they timed it right, so it didn't have time to get cold before our designated time). The breakfast was excellent: biscuit & gravy, sweet/regular potato home fries, eggs, and a fruit salad made of apples, pears, grapes and fresh mint)! Of course, coffee and juice were provided. The food was excellent – I didn't have any problems cleaning my plate! While we ate, Fred & Mary Beth sat with us and chatted. They're very easy to talk to and it felt more like sitting down to breakfast with family. They really make the effort to make you feel welcome and it's obvious every “customer” is important to them. I put customer in quotes because you don't really feel like a customer…but keep in mind that this is a business for them (granted, it's one they seem cut out for and certainly enjoy). That said, be sure to follow the rules. If you want to tour a yurt, you can do so…but there's a $10 fee. That $10 will be credited to your stay (either yurt or room) if you decide to stay. There's a firm check-out time of ‘before 11 AM’! If you pass that, there is a $50 fee. So, even though you'll feel welcome and at home while there – keep it in mind that they do have policies!

Check out their site for more info. They are very ‘green’, which is refreshing compared to the usual hotels/B&Bs I've stayed in. It's good to see people caring about the environment and practicing what they preach.

Well, I've babbled on enough - check out the yurts!!! Their website cautions that yurts aren't for everyone, so if not for you, then check out the traditional rooms. I'd definitely return to Cedar House Inn & Yurts when I stay in the Dahlonega area.

Room Tip: Try a yurt!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dahlonega
19.8 km away
Quality Inn Dahlonega
#7 of 9 in Dahlonega
25.1 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Helen

Been to Cedar House Inn & Yurts? Share your experiences!