All reviewsbunk bedscomposting toiletsfamily stylesunrise roombath housespringer mountaincell phoneunique experienceappalachian trailother guestsget awayfood wastedining hallsolar panelshot showertop bunkboard games
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

This is an awesome day trip with a mate, friend or family. Hike is just rigorous enough to feel slightly challenged but so doable. Beautiful hike, easy to follow trail, and a great weekend getaway. I've been a couple times. The food was really good on my recent visit and they were unexpectedly SO accommodating to some dietary issues I had- I was amazed. The staff is so friendly and excited to be there and all of the guests are really mellow and courteous. The INN is immaculate especially for a semi-primitive lodge. I highly recommend this Hike Inn and plan to start going every Spring and Fall.

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 17 May 2017

This was my 5th visit there, four while staying overnight, and one on a day-hike with the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC). Two weeks ago, we had another memorable stay. This time, our neighbors (couple in their 40's) accompanied us. My wife was coming out of a recent strange & long cold. We are in our late 60's, but perform as reasonably moderate-to-good hikers.

I led our group-of-four at a rate just below 2 mph. The day was perfect for hiking. We had a break for "lunch" (trail bars. gorp, fruits, water) at about mid-point, where three large logs are set up as benches. That's the place I call the VIP dining area. We made the hike in three hours & 25 min. Everyone had fun at this slow pace, having time to enjoy the woods, the birds, and the wind. The home cooking was excellent. The Hike Inn Staff managed to excel again, in spite of having full house (48 guests).

The return hike was excellent. At four miles down, we met a small group. A Senior Lady was sitting on the trailside bench. Her son said: "Today is Mom's birthday, and we are taking her to the Hike-Inn. She is 90 years old". I was impressed. Great place to go. The day after the hike, our neighbors commented: When are we going back?

Room Tip: Rooms near front entrance.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jose A
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

First a warning - 5 miles doesn't seem like much but this is a fairly strenuous hike as it is mostly up. That being said, it's worth it because the place is great!! If you can stay overnight, do. The rate includes two truly delicious meals, hot showers, actual toilets and super friendly staff.
If you can't stay over, it's worth a look as the concept of the place is unique. It's mostly self-sufficient - everything from composting to solar panels to water conservation to the design of the lodge itself is designed with conservation in mind. Just a beautiful place. I'd go back for sure.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sonirox
Reviewed 13 April 2017

If you love the outdoors and you are up for a 5 mile hike up a mountain trail, the Len Foote Inn is a bucket list type trip for you. You also get the bonus of enjoying Amicalola Falls too! The Inn is very much into sustainability, you cannot leave any trash behind, you take out any you bring in! You get dinner and breakfast as part of a nights stay, and again you are encouraged to eat all you are provided and not waste anything! They even turn this into a contest. You dine together on a long table with other guests and you will meet people from all over the world. Rooms are bunk beds for two and are somewhat rustic, but you have heat if it gets chilly. The bathrooms are dorm style for each gender, and are warm, clean and very nice. Take the tour and check out the worm farm in the basement! Go and enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2017

Our group of 7 hikers live most of our lives in the flat lands of the coast so were quite nervous about attempting this hike. The most we regularly hike is 2 miles around the flat block of our neighborhoods. However, I wanted to celebrate my 70th year by going to the Hike Inn and persuaded six friends to join me. Most were younger and in better shape, but we all made it to the inn and loved our two night stay.

I spend the day at the inn reading outdoors in a comfy chair with my feet propped on a large stone which marked the Spring Solstice. Others did a short bird photo hike, while two fit friends hiked to Springer Mountain, the start of the AT, and back.

Food was delicious, bath facilities fine, and toilets the most interesting I've ever encountered. Our bunk bed lodging was quite comfortable after our strenuous hike. (The sign says average time to the inn - 3 hours. It took us 6.)

Start early by staying at the state park Amicalola Lodge Inn the night before, and do stay at the Hike Inn two nights to absorb the atmosphere. Our visit in April let us talk with quite a few hikers on their way to Springer Mountain and the 2000+ mile trip to Maine. What fun!!

Room Tip: One of few hike only inns in the USA
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends