“The 'Other' Extended Stay in Duluth”

Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth
Reviewed 16 September 2015

First you need to know that this property is adjacent to another, more modern Extended Stay property with more amenities [e.g. 'fitness' room and a pool]. Second, there seems to be a disconnect with this hotel's reservation system and sites like Priceline, Expedia, etc. After we checked in, and we were there for six weeks because of a job relocation, the hotel was full yet people were still coming in that had made reservations on a non-Extended Stay web site. They had to be turned away and the sites that already collected the money didn't seem to care that they were booking rooms in a hotel that was already full.
On to the hotel. When I checked in I thought there would be plates, bowls, cups, cooking utensils, etc already in the room. They weren't there. I went to the front desk and was told that they would be delivered the next day during the day shift. When I returned the next evening, no stuff. I went to the front desk and was told that they should have been brought during the day. The person working the desk was alone in the hotel and had to deal with other customers before helping me out. Eventually she rustled up 2 cups, 2 bowls, two forks, two knives, [see the pattern??]. For the next six weeks we had to wash dishes after each meal.
A few days after we checked in, the toilet began running constantly. A quick check showed it to be the very old style with the large plastic bulb/float. I went to the front desk and let them know that there was a problem. I was told that it would be fixed the next day as there is only one staff person on duty after 5 PM. Needless to say, it took about 8 or 9 days for them to 'fix' the toilet. [I had offer to go and buy the parts and install them myself if I would get reimburse for the parts but was turned down each time I asked.] With the new parts installed the toilet still ran continuously. I ended up adjusting the fill level, resizing the fill tube and used a bent paperclip to hold it in place. In the six weeks that we stayed there, the maid only came into our room once - to do a quick vacuum and leave. We were supposed to have weekly maid service... We were told that Tuesday would be our day for service and each Tuesday the maid would tell my wife that 'You aren't on my list so you aren't getting service...'
My wife, who smokes, found out that getting into the building after 11 PM is very problematic - the card reader at the front door doesn't work. [This meant that if the door wasn't propped open during the day, the front desk clerk had to run around the desk and open it each time someone wanted to get in. By the way, my wife finally got in finding the only working card reader at the door on the opposite side of the hotel. This, by the way, blew holes into the hotel's excuse of why the card reader at the front door didn't work. They said that they had recently started this 'safety' measure for the guests. The overnight person would periodically walk to the front door to see if someone wanted in...
On checkout day, my wife and I were bringing our belongings to our new apartment. I asked the front desk person if we could get a late check out. [The hotel had passed its busy season and appeared to be only partially filled at this point.] He told me NO - if we were still moving stuff at checkout he would charge us for another full day! After several compact car loads, remember we had been they for 6+ weeks, I went to check out at a few minutes past 12. Luckily for me the manager of the hotel was there and overruled the draconian charge for a FULL day...
One thing to note is that if you are getting a percentage off your bill by being a member of Extended Stay's hotel program, you will pay the FULL amount while you are there. Each Sunday I had to pay for at least the next week's rate. After you check out, the hotel chain gets around to refunding you the percentage off that you were getting when you checked in. [I checked my bank statements and we did get what I figured we were supposed to receive.]
I am going to give this hotel a 2 or 3 star rating rating because of the work of a couple of staff members who did what they could to try and make our stay as good as they were able - Miss Tracy at the front desk and David the houseman. Without these two I would give the hotel a zero!

Room Tip: Try the other Extended Stay next to it.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Tenn_Visitor_2015
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept our apologies that your stay was not to our company’s high standards. In response to your feedback, we will continue to strive to provide each guest with a comfortable stay and great customer service. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

The staff rate a 5, but the property does need updating/repairs. If it weren't for the updates/repairs needed I would have given them a 5. We stayed at this property for a total of 6 weeks waiting for our apartment to become available, and the location was great! Price was excellent, but you have to note there is no pool or workout center. Laundry room was clean and I had no problem getting a washer/dryer. Breakfast was as promised and location provided several options for eating out.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best. Seem to be larger and less noise.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2015

Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I am proud of our team for being helpful and pleasant. That is what we pride ourselves on! Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

You can't beat the price, but you sure can beat the internet (kept dropping service) and the state of the carpet in the room (pretty grungy). Overall though, staff were very helpful and the room filled its purpose - good price for a couple of days. I have been to better Extended Stay facilities. Also this one is right next door to a more upscale ESA facility and it's a bit confusing. I MIGHT stay here again, but probably would look for another location. The hotel IS however close to lots of restaurants and shopping and convenient to the main highways.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GE H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I was pleased to hear that our staff was very helpful and that you were satisfied with the rate of your room. However, it was disheartening to read that the internet in your room continuously dropped, and that your room was not properly cleaned. We are a hotel of quality and we pride ourselves on providing a home away from home. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 April 2015

This is the first of two ESA hotels on the same road. I mistakenly went to the 'other' one first, as this one is sort of hidden from view of the road. The 'other' location is a bit fancier and has a pool. This property was clean (common areas could've used a 'scrub'), front desk staff friendly and pretty helpful. I arrived at about 2:45 (check in is at 3) and my room was not ready ... wondered to myself were there were no other rooms available and why this one was 'just' being cleaned?
This hotel chain lacks in its offering of TV channels and offering an actual breakfast.
Location is convenient to the interstate and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelingfrom865
Reviewed 19 March 2015

The biggest challenge with working around Atlanta is the traffic. The two Extended stay America hotels on venture parkway in Duluth are in one of the best locations for avoiding traffic in the area. This on top of the fact they are decent places to stay at a reasonable cost, you can actually get to many of the busness and industrial areas without sitting in the heavy traffic.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2015

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel. I am glad we were able to provide you with an affordable place to stay that was far enough from the Atlanta traffic. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duluth
0.2 km away
21 km away
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Clairmont
32.3 km away
Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Marietta - Interstate N. Pkwy

Been to Extended Stay America - Atlanta - Duluth? Share your experiences!