“Good Place to Stay, Close to Town”

and 1 more site!
Alpine Crest Resort
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Helen
Reviewed 1 May 2006

A lot of improvements going on there. All the decks are new wood and a lot of painting is being done, Pool is in very good condition, grounds and playground areas very nice. Our room however was not very clean, we have a two yr old and the rooms had to be vacuumed before we felt comfortable letting her run around. Also a couple of things in need of repair, like the sliding glass door lock broken. I did not have the problem that another reviewer had of their room smelling of smoke, ours did not.
This is not a 5 star resort, but it is worth staying at because of its close proximity to town. It is within walking distance to almost everything. (take the shortcut path along the river).
All in all, after reading the reviews on this site I was apprehensive (res. already made) however we had a very nice time and recommend it as a base of operations to see the area not as a luxury resort destination.
Stay and go check out the sites, Dahlonega's Gold mine is a must see.

• Stayed: April 2006
11  Thank transitmechanic

Reviewed 4 June 2005

We recently visited Alpine Crest for a week's vacation. I have been there several times and I can say that a lot of improvements are being made there. The pool and spa have been completely redone. Most units have some new furnishings and paint. The unit we were in had a small washer/dryer combo which was nice. The kitchen was fully equipped with full size appliances. I felt the space was adequate for our family of 4. We never felt crowded. (It would be tight with 6.)Two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. The master bathroom had a whirlpool tub. It worked ok but took forever to fillup. The downside is that the water temperature varies during showers. That was a bit of a pain. You also do not get towel exchanges during the week, you wash your own. That is ok with just two people but difficult with kids. I ended up washing towels everyday. The location is great. You can walk to everything. There are street level units which do not have stairs. The unit was clean when we arrived. There were several fun activities scheduled during the week we were there. All in all I would say it is very family friendly. Not a luxury resort by any means, but a nice place to relax with the family. We will return in the future. The kids loved it and had a blast!

• Stayed: May 2005
12  Thank LynnSC
Carrollton, Georgia
Reviewed 23 November 2004

This was my second year to vacation at Alpine Crest. The first year we stayed, I thought the place really needed some attention in the cleaning department. My husband had called prior to his visit to request that things be given special attention since he was bringing a guest and she was very important to him. I'd hate to see what it would have been if he had not called ahead.

This year he didn't call ahead, and as a matter of fact he shouldn't have to call ahead and say would you please make sure our lodge is well dusted, vacuumed, we have clean linens (that don't smell like smoke), and the floors are cleaned. Do you typically call ahead when you go on vacation and stay at a Hotel or Motel and make sure your room is clean and presentable? I think NOT!! I'm guessing the reason the linens smell like smoke is the staff that is in charge of cleaning smoke all the time and the scent from them is absorbed in the towles, and sheets, etc.

The lodge has a fairly nice jetted tub in the master bath. However, it's only good if it's kept in good working condition. This year when we arrive, the hot water facuet wasn't working at all. We were notified ahead before we arrive by my sister and her family that we had go up ahead of us. When they arrived the entire unit smelled of cigrette smoke. They called and reported it but no action was taken to correct the problem. Once we learned of the tub not working properly, my husband called ahead to asked that it be repaired before we arrived on Tuesday night, still nothing was done. It wasn't until 2 more calls that the tub was repaired on Wednesday evening.

Personally, we pass several motels on our way into Helen such as the Motel 8 I believe that advertises they have a rate of $29.99 per night. I'd much rather stay there and know that I had a clean facility and my sheets, towels, etc didn't smell of smoke than to stay at Alpine Crest.

These people that have marked this resort as Excellent must either be VIP's and receive special treatment OR either they currently live in a much worst place and think this facility is an upgrade from where they currently live.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Carrollton, GA
Reviewed 22 November 2004

Location is nice, but the conditions are terrible. The unit I stayed in needs alot of attention. Carpets filthy and need to be replaced. Flooring poorly installed and peeling. DUST EVERYWHERE. If you are a non-smoker, try somewhere else.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 2 August 2003

We stay in this resort every year and have so for 8 years. During the summer the slide is a draw for the kids as is the river where they can tube and play. The hill is a killer so be prepared to either drive it or hoof it. The kids have several shortcuts to help. Nice people. They are upgrading this 20 year old facility. If you go, take care of your unit like it was your own.....because the rest of the owners will do the same.......be prepared to immerse yourself in the relaxed lifestyle of Helen....take a book or two.....unwind and enjoy....

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member