“Great Schnitzel”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2017

The family are very friendly. Waitresses are excellent. Beer is great. Schnitzel is hot and very good. Large servings.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We started off with a beer while waiting for the rest of our party. My hefeveisen was delicious and cold. I ordered the jaeger schnitzel. The salad was terrific, easily the highlight of the meal. I wish I could say the same about the schnitzel. The breading was doughy, crunchless, and bland. The gravy tasted like instant packet gravy with too much salt. The spetzle was just how I like it; with a little crisp and in a fairly large portion. They had one desert choice. We split our slice of cake four ways, and none of us liked it enough to finish it.

Zum Rosenhof is still one of the better choices in Hinesville, but I don't recommend going out of your way for it.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Walked in with three for lunch, we were seated upstairs. Not a lot of atmosphere, all the kitschy German restaurant stuff one would expect. The service was personable, quick, and efficient. The star of this restaurant is most certainly the food. Had the Jäger Schnitzel, it was excellent, the mushroom gravy was good enough to eat with a spoon. The pommes frites came out of the kitchen perfectly seasoned and needed nothing added. The salad was as good the the rest of the meal. Pricing for lunch was more than reasonable for the quality and amount of food. If I am ever in Hinesville during mealtime again, this will be the first pick.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

I have tried nearly all Zum Rosenhof’s versions of schnitzels, with my favorites being the jaeger schnitzel and onion schnitzel.

The pork loin is beaten thin and lightly breaded and fried crisp. The jaeger schnitzel is topped with a rich brown mushroom sauce, while the onion schnitzel is covered with a mountain of grilled onions.

I love the side salad. The first time I saw the sliced cuts of lettuce and red cabbage topped over some green beans and drizzled with a light creamy sauce with vinegar and dill, I wasn’t too sure how it would taste.

Verdict: It was delicious.

The bratwurst sandwich is hefty, and it goes well with the home fries, which are well-spiced and different than just regular cut fries.
The creamy grilled chicken-breast lunch special is rich and savory. The sauce is poured over the chicken and regular cut fries. It’s enough to fill you for the rest of your day, and it’s definitely worth the price.

I tried the Schweinebraten, a pork roast that is slowly simmered until it falls apart at the touch of your fork. It is covered with a thick, savory and deep-flavored brown sauce. The potato salad has a distinct zesty flavor, and the spaetzle is to die for.

Don’t even get me started on the daily selection of decadent cakes and desserts.

But the food at Zum Rosenhof is just half of the experience.

Every time I walk into Zum, the staff is quick to offer a boisterous “Guten Tag!” and the wait staff who know me well enough are also quick to bring me a cold brew.

I love how all the waitresses are decked out in traditional dirndl attire.

It is another one of those Hinesville locations where you feel like you are walking in to have a meal with your family. I’ve often sat at the bar area for dinner next to complete strangers only to walk out knowing I’ve made new friends.

Owner Anka Hinze is quick to offer you a smile and sometimes a hug. Birthday celebrations should always include the 2-liter Das Boot beer challenge.

I think I did that — once. Can’t remember.
Nowadays, the bar is covered with hanging $1 bills painted in the colors of the German flag or brandishing a personal message written with a Sharpie marker.

The bottom line is that the family friendly and intimate atmosphere found at Zum Rosenhof make it Oktoberfest all year round.

You don’t have to take my word for it. Just pass by the place on a Friday and Saturday night, and you will see the cars parked along Midway Street. Roll down your window, and you can hear folks just having a good time.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

So glad we went here after numerous recommendations from locals. Atmosphere was great. Food was authentic, homemade, and fantastic. Beer was cold! Just an all around fun, good time. Roast beef was out of this world.

Been to Zum Rosenhof? Share your experiences!