“Very disappointing ”

Sea Belle Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in La Mercy
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

Returned after a long absence. The venue has been renovated which is refreshing but unfortunately the service and food does not live up to the standard that made the Sea Belle famous in years gone by.

We were a party of eight, when shown to our table the waiter started to wipe down the table, he was so slow in everything he did, it really become frustrating.

I ordered a crab curry and asked before what crab it was and the size of the portion. I was told that it was a big orange crab and it was the whole crab.

Unfortunately this crab must have had a terrible life because it only had one pincher and two hip sections. I asked the waiter again and he was really surprised that it was only half a crab. I did check with the manager and she too was amazed that the portion was only half a crab.

Worst of all the restaurant does not have any implements to crack the shell so getting into the crab was impossible.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

I have been coming to this place on and off for many years. The food never disappoints me. I love the prawn curry. Don't miss this one.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We are coming here to eat the curry for more than 20 years.
We travel from Secunda in Mpumalanga on a friday. We have dinner and come again on saturday.
We think this is the best curry by far.
Travel abroad and always try curry other countries. Seabelle is the best!!!!!

1  Thank Dianemaciel
Reviewed 2 March 2017

I must remember this place from days gone by when I was a little dinky puff screaming for attention from my folks because I hadn't had enough sugary drinks. So when I was informed that Sea Belle had re-opened, what to do but take a visit to see what has improved or plainly fallen to pieces. Well, ordering the prawn curry proved ok. The salad & pickles were up to fair. But it's the USUAL down-trodden approach of not being able to serve coffee or tea (as there was a shortage of tea cups and mugs in La Mercy - who knew? #lol). There's no longer a 2 liter coke option but served by the can. On the plus side though, the view of the beach is fun and apparently the dance floor is still open ... for whom exactly, I don't know! If you're a Durbanite, the trek to Sea Belle is mandatory! The service or dis-service is a skill that can only be polished at an establishment of this nature. I jest though ... no expectation, no disappointments - take a pal and visit the spot for the other side of Durban WITHOUT the twing twanging obnoxious gentrification of Umhlanga.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

I was at the Seabelle in January 2017 for a family dinner. The vegetarian curries were not available and the waiter only told us this after he had brought the other meals to the table. Several menu items also not available. The prawns were delicious. However, the service was appalling and management did not seem to care about our complaints. I will not be visiting the Seabelle again.