“luxurious & relaxing”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The Cloister at Sea Island is a truly fabulous place to stay. The staff could not be lovelier, the accommodations outstanding, and the grounds are beautiful and perfectly kept. Dining here is top notch, whether you're enjoying a leisurely meal or grabbing a casual lunch. I've stayed here three times and will be going again very soon...& I hope to visit many more times in the coming years. A real treat.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank NYArtistGirl

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Went here for New Years Eve--The weather was cooperative with highs about 72 degree's--the pools were warm the ocean was icy. The fireworks display on New Years was possibly the best I've ever seen. This resort is extremely nice and elegant and although there were many family and hordes of teen's and 20 somethings (not sure where they all came from) it dripped in East Coast preppiness. I've never seen so many bow ties, loud pants on men, and young men with Beiber-ish hair in one place in my life. It must be a popular East Coast-high end holiday resort. That being said, there is a bit of a stuffiness about the place and one would not be comfortable t-shirts and gym shoes as their primary means of dress. The resort was fabulous, the pool area was excellent, the service was o.k. (no pool waitresses in the winter? even with a full pool?) Call a few people in to work--the pool was packed!

One other odd note--the spa closes at 6 p.m. Doesn't that seem a little early, especially when they were fully booked for 4 straight days and I had to wait for a cancellation? They seem to cut back on staff during the winter, but they need to ramp it up a bit during the jam packed Christmas/New Year's holiday. We played their extremely popular Bingo (in fact about 500 people did and there was a waiting list---collared shirts and ties required for boys for Bingo) it was a bit cheesy, but the whole family could attend.

Last note: I did get a cancellation appointment at the spa and had Sharon L as my therapist--she was wonderful and I highly recommend her. I got a relaxation massage but you can tell she has very strong hands for a deep tissue if I wanted that. The spa is exceptional!

I don't know if I'd go back here, it was a bit too buttoned up for my liking. I've stayed at Ritz's, Four Seasons, St. Regis's, etc. and none were as stuffy as this one. I also was not fond of the walk to the pools and ocean, they were in a different building and about 2 blocks away, but it was inconvenient if you wanted to go back to your room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sjrbt
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I have stayed at The Cloister twice now and believe this to be one of the best resorts in the US. The service and staff are impeccable and from the moment you arrive you are treated as if you are the only guests on Sea Island. My fiance and I have stayed in the Ocean Villas as well as at the Beach Club. Both are beautiful and very well maintained. We just returned from a planning meeting with our family as we are getting married at The Cloister this fall. While there weren't a lot of guests staying there since the weather is cool we still noticed that the grounds and facilities were maintained. The Spa is one of the finest I've seen and I would recommend taking advantage of it's ammenities even if you do not purchase a service. This resort is pricey but offers a wide array of free ammenities.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Atlantabelle10
Reviewed 18 January 2012

we truly enjoyed our room. it was very comfortable and luxurious. even thought the weather was cold, we still had a wonderful time on the island, and our room was very warm and cozy to return to.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Imasoxaholic
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I just reterned from a getaway at The Sea Isdland Resort which is made up of The Cloister and Beach Club (both excellent for families and accessing all the Resort Facilities) as well as The Lodge at Sea Island (Golfing Mecca!).
I have to say I was a little concerned this 5 star 5 diamond resort may be a bit "Ritzy-stuffy" but what I found was excellent, friendly, down to earth southern hospitality that would rival any Resort! One can tell the peole working there genuinly love their job and the Resort. All areas of the resort are classical Mizner Buildings that simply blend in to the gorgous grounds and gardens. The two days there were far to short and I will definately go back to enjoy all the facilities - theer are SO MANY! From Horesback Ridding on the Beach, the world class Spa, Golf and Golf and Golf, Clay pigeon shooting to Cayaking and more... You never need to leave the Resort : )
My room was a spacious one bedroom suite and everything was of the highest qulity and up-keep. I think all rooms have balconies too, mine was very spacious and just great for sitting out in the evening. The bed was also SUPER comfortable - had a GREAT sleep!
I could go on and on but will just say "believe me, you need to see this place to fall in love with it!" .... Enjoy....

Room Tip: Higher floors - third floor - will have better Resort Views!