“Lives up to its stellar reputation.”

The Cloister at Sea Island
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Reviewed 17 April 2012

From the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, you'll be treated like royalty. The place is just amazing. Spectacular grounds, fabulous amenities and staff that will fall over backward for you. Together with the Lodge, its sister property a short drive away, you have access to several terrific dining options, world class golf, beautiful pools, a wonderful beach-side playground for the kids and, of course, the beach - all on property (gated). However, this is not the place for the budget-minded. Its very expensive but worth it, in my humble opinion. The only beach-side resort I can think of (that I've been to) that I prefer is The Breakers in Palm Beach.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Ok the title sums it up. This place is awesome. We put the kids in various camps and activities and they loved it all. We went this Springbreak and the place was packed, so you m ay want to come another weekend. The service was very good but it was very busy and not as personalized as some portrayed but they were very attentive to our needs. We put the kids in Survival camp one evening and went to the Georgian room. The food was excellent but the price reflected it. We stayed at the hotel which have huge rooms and was extremely nice, but feel the Beach Club would have been a better option for those with kids looking for food options. Lots of kids there at the Beach Club so it was nice to walk across the street to get away from the "chaos". The concierge was able to help us get dinner reservations at almost every place we wanted to go. In addition to the usual beach activities you can fish, golf, rent a boat charter, kayak and shoot clay targets (air rifles for the kids) all from the hotel. I was hesitant about taking the kids but they loved the place and want to go again. The hotel was very Family oriented.

Only caveat is don't think you get any of this without the price tag that comes along with a five star resort. Every single thing you buy except clothing etc will come with a 20 % service charge (at least you didn't have to worry about what to tip). the bill adds up fast. Lot of families stayed in nearby cottage rentals with kitchens to help save money or left "the grounds" to venture for outside food options.

Room Tip: If you want to go for shooting ,spa, or dinner call several weeks in advance,especially shooting for...
5  Thank atlantaheel
Reviewed 13 April 2012

When i left this hotel, i was a bit sad. I was already thinking of returning.

My visit to Sea Island a few days before Easter was an unexpected surprise. Arriving late at night, we were driven to our rooms at The Cloister. Immediately upon walking in, i knew i was in a special place. From the friendliness of the door staff, to our smooth and welcoming check in...to the escort to my room, the experience was flawless.

The lobby was beautiful. As i walked to my room, in the moonlight, i couldnt make out all the details of the property...but i knew it was special. My room was fantastic. I stay in a lot of hotels (about 200 nights per year)....and this room was one of the best every. Huge, comfortable, and welcoming. The bathroom was IMMACULATE with lots of closet space (understatement), 'in wall' iron and ironing board, separate outside dressing area, main bath with sunken tub, separate shower, and so much more.

The bed was heaven. Westin needs to visit here to re-define their definition of Heavenly.

Walking back to the main building the next morning, i noticed the small details...and some of the larger ones. Every corner was filled with potted plants. I could not find a scratch or bit of paint missing anywhere. The landscaping was superb, filled with so many little areas to discover.

I felt as if i were experiencing the ultimate in fine, warm, and gentile southern hospitality...and probably the last of its kind.

The food service outlets were each wonderful. From the grand Georgian Room, to the tavern...service and food quality were excellent.

I read some of the less than favorable reviews on this site, and really cant believe them. I found the service incredible, and everyone GENUINELY friendly. Many of the staff have been here for years, and really enjoy their job. It shows.

I will be back. I am still kicking myself for not accepting an offer to visit last year.

Sea Island is probably the best kept secret of the south.

I cant wait to return...

Room Tip: I dont think there is a bad room on the property. My room was in a wing off of the main building...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank JamesE339
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I took our 20 month old here after hearing great reviews from a couple of friends that have already been here. It was actually BETTER than they built it up to be. the resort itself is beautiful. We enjoyed getting a glass of wine and strolling the little one around. You can stay on the river or the beach. I highly recommend the beach. Especially if you have kids. The beach club is adjacent to the pools and most activities. There is a great playground for the kids and from what I saw, the Kids Club was a hit. We saw them walking around the property with their councelors and they were having a blast. You an also get babysittters from Sitters By The Sea. Ask for Haley. She was very good with our child. We will return here with friends this summer.

Room Tip: We did not have a balcony but wish we did so we could sit ourside when the kids went to sleep. You...
Reviewed 12 April 2012

After spending a business trip at the Cloister, I brought my family back for Spring Break. We were not disappointed! Unbelievable rooms, views of ocean, private beach. Lots for kids to do. We rented bikes and barely drove at all! Cloister is an amazing place! We stayed at the ocean villas which were roomy, comfortable, and clean. Service was amazing. Beach club was tremendous as well!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. Amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
4.5 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Inn at Sea Island
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
5.4 km away
The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort
The King and Prince Beach and Go...
#3 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!