“Fantastic Valentine's Day expereince!”
Review of Richard's

Richard's
Reserve with OpenTable
Richard's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 819 Restaurants in Boise
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Reviewed 16 February 2017

I called almost a month in advance for a reservation. There were two times available: 5 PM and 8 PM. We chose 5 PM. That turned out to be a good thing, because the place was not full and the servers were plentiful.

This is a new restaurant inside the new Inn at 500 boutique hotel. Richard Langston had his own restaurant (Richard's Café Vicino), and the Inn at 500 approached him to run this new restaurant. He said that he was thrilled, since the new, larger kitchen would allow him to do so many things he could not do at his old place.

We started with a delicious appetizer of Shrimp and Risotto Cakes with basil cream sauce, which included 4 shrimp and 2 risotto cakes, perfect for sharing. My spouse enjoyed a glass of Cinder Dry Viognier with it, and I had a McCall Brewing Mackinaw Red. All of it was delicious, and it piqued our appetites, just like an appetizer should!

My spouse tried the fresh beet salad and thought it was excellent. I had the arugula salad with the piquillo pepper, stuffed with warm goat cheese. It, too, was excellent.

For entrées, we chose 2 different preparations of sea bass. My spouse had the pan-seared sea bass, atop pureed cauliflower, arugula, pistachios, roasted tomatoes and capers. It was likely the best entrée she's had in several years! She very much enjoyed the glass of Pinot Grigio with her entrée.

I ordered a special entrée, sea bass and angel hair pasta with grated cheese. I almost never order pasta, but this one was very good! It would have been nice to have another ingredient or two (capers, olives, etc.), but it was still very good as presented. It was partially my fault, since I asked them not to include the chives, since I've learned chives are afraid of the dark :-)

We tried 2 desserts: a flour-less chocolate torte and a lemon-basil Panna Cotta. I finished the latter. My spouse took home half of the flour less chocolate torte, as it was very rich and dense.

Our server Lindsey did a very good job of attending to us and her other tables. She was assisted by several other waitstaff to refill water glasses, bring bread, clear plates, etc.

The decor is modern, using wine barrel staves hung on wires, beautiful carpeting and upholstered benches to absorb sound.

We will definitely be back for future anniversaries, birthdays, etc.!

1  Thank Steve E

Reviewed 14 February 2017

The new Richard's Restaurant reflects the elevated expense of the boutique hotel where it is now located. Add at least $10 to the prices you paid in the former restaurant Richard owned located by the Co-op.
The new Richard's has a bar, but the bartender seems to be in a coma. Even though there were only 2 small tables occupied, 4 of us sat for 20 minutes before he glided over to take our order not noticing that we had approached someone from the adjoining restaurant to order when he was blind to us. He didn't even notice the order already waiting for him to fill it and, again, he took his time bringing only 3 of the 4 drinks ordered.
Since you can walk from the Flicks theatre to Richard's, we thought it convenient. Not being served and the lackadaisical attitude makes it very inconvenient.

2  Thank joyce t
Reviewed 14 February 2017

Richards moved from the Boise Co-op to its current location just a couple weeks ago. The food is and always has been good.

The service was pretty slow and the lighting is too bright. Hopefully they will get the service issue sorted out, our table was 45 minutes late. The lighting, we'll see I guess.

1  Thank BrittanOC
Reviewed 11 February 2017

We arrived to a fairly empty dining room so expected better service. While seated they turned the lights on and off with no explanation ~ and after more than 10 minutes of not being waited on ~ we decided to leave. I think it is fairly new so there is the possibility of getting better - and it might be unusual to receive this kind of service/an anomoly - but I will not give it another try.

3  Thank kimnoreen
Reviewed 29 January 2017

I can say that Richard Langston's new restaurant in the Inn at 500 Capital was anticipated for quite a while here in Boise. His other restaurant, Cafe Vicino, was smallish, and off the beaten trail in Boise. The outside of the restaurant looked grand, even though the Inn at 500 Capital appears on the garish side. We stopped in before catching La La Land at the Flicks this evening and sat at the bar for appetizers and dinner. The first thing we noticed was the unusual and dark decor, with gold/gray geometric cut-outs on the walls. Looking around the restaurant, the same dark decor, and odd cut-out pattern was continued on the far wall. It was as though someone thought that emo was also a good look for a restaurant. Disappointing. We both ordered a sea scallop, nicely done resting on mashed​ sweet potatoes, and accented with a spicy cilantro pesto. Excellent. We split the grilled shrimp and risotto cakes with a basil cream sauce. This is Richard Langston's cuisine. We both had the pan seared sea bass cauliflower puree, arugula, pistachios, roasted tomatoes, capers. The bass was cooked perfectly, but the dish had a little too much going on with pistachios, capers, and roasted tomatoes. The cauliflower puree was a good foil for the business of the accompanying vegetables however. The food experience was what was expected and delicious. Another odd characteristic of the restaurant was the choice of bar chairs. They are so tall my feel were not able to touch the railing at the bottom of the bar, and I'm 6 feet tall. They are about a yard wide (no, not really but sheesh, if you needed to, two people could share one. I have expected someone to hold the reins while we tried to saddle up to bar. Odd and clumsy. They look good, but are not remotely ergonomically designed. The service was attentive, as one would expect from a Boise-level nice restaurant. Richard Langston's cuisine and the emo decor is an unfortunate mismatch. But I would still recommend dining there. Only you might need a little therapy after your visit.

Been to Richard's? Share your experiences!