“Great alcohol selection, good food”

Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery
Ranked #12 of 847 Restaurants in Boise
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999. With three locations in Boise, Eagle and Coeur d'Alene that capture the spirit of Idaho and the Northwest, Bardenay Restaurant and Distillery is a cornerstone of Idaho's restaurant and bar industry. The original establishment is located in a once empty warehouse on the Historic Basque Block in downtown Boise, Idaho. On April 25th, 2000, history was made when we served the first cocktail to included spirits distilled in a restaurant in the US. As the nation's first restaurant distillery, Bardenay has set an industry precedent as the first full service restaurant and bar with the ability to create handcrafted liquor on-site. Our distillers are happy to give tours as time allows. Please ask your server if you are interested in a closer look at our operations. p.s. We are only allowed to sell our fine spirits by the drink. If you would like to purchase a bottle, you may do so at many of our state liquor stores.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Really good variety on the menu. The alcohol selection is very large. They are a distillery so there’s a large selection of their own and typical hard alcohol selection, good selection of a lot of craft beers on tap and a huge wine selection. We got the chips and salsa appetizer which is pretty disappointing if you want more traditional salsa, as it is actually pico de gallo. I had the New York steak (good but not great) and smashed potatoes (really good). The highlight was dessert, we had the scotch ice cream and caramel bourbon ice cream and they were both great. Kids are welcome and they have a kid’s menu.

Kyle M, Manager at Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

"The highlight was dessert, we had the scotch ice cream and caramel bourbon ice cream and they were both great."..... Yum, thanks for sharing!!

Reviewed 14 June 2018

After spending a chilly day on Bogus Mountain with one of our siblings and his spouse in Boise, we decided to head into Boise for dinner. On this particular day, our first restaurant choice was celebrating the end of mountain bike race. The crowds were too big and dinner at this location was a no-go. Walking down through town, we anticipated another location with the same result.
After another ten minutes of walking, we found our way into the Basque district and the Bardenay Restaurant and Distillery. While busy, this locale offered plenty of open space seating with high ceilings and distilling vats as a nice backdrop to the dining area.
After a very short wait, our server took our drink orders that featured "home-brewed" spirits from the distillery. The beer choices, especially on tap were excellent alternatives.
The menu at this restaurant is impressive with a wide-variety of choices to suit any palate, from young to old. It was also pleasing to see the menu prices were more than reasonable (think what one would pay at a sports-bar chain but without the unique fare). My guests ordered dishes including a Reuben sandwich with Korean Kimchi slaw; a grilled portabella sandwich; and my favorite, Pacific Cod fish and chips. The latter dish exceeded the expectations of this author who also has tasted the original fare in newpaper near the Tower of London. The fish was perfectly cooked and ensconced in a crispy batter that surely included corn meal and a local ale. Underneath the generous portion of fish were perfectly cut russets, served with the "famous only to those in the west" french fry sauce (ketchup, mayo, mesquite smoke, and various hot sauces). Being a fish and chips snob, I requested malt vinegar from the server and was impressed that this mainstay was available.
Picking up the check for six guests, the cost left my wallet much less light than one would expect for the food quality and quantity, along with the ambiance. Total price for this visit, just over $105. If you are in Boise, you absolutely must check out the Bardenay!

Kyle M, Manager at Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

We’re so pleased, thank you so much for sharing!

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Along the walking trail on the river, you will find this restaurant. We stopped by for lunch. Now be aware that they don’t open until 11am. We sat outside and discovered that this place is a distillery and not a brewery. We will stop by some evening to try their wares. Anyway, I had a Cajun Blue Cheese steak sandwich and my wife had the grilled tuna. My sandwich was over spiced and under cheesed, but the accompanying salad saved the meal. My wife enjoyed her grilled tuna but the bread was stale and quickly removed. We were there early, so the server was pretty busy setting up the place and didn’t do a very good job of taking care of her customers.

Kyle M, Manager at Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

We apologize for the service you experienced. We will make sure the staff sees your comments in our next training meeting. We hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Four of us had lunch here. Two had Kobe beef sandwich with sweet potato fries and coleslaw (1 ea). Delicious and huge portions! We also enjoyed an order of wings and the Mediterranean appetizer. Our servers were attentive, friendly and made us feel welcome. Great place to eat!

Kyle M, Manager at Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

That's what we love to hear! Looking forward to your next visit!!

Reviewed 27 May 2018

I had a party of 20 that came for my wedding reception at the Eagle location. While they do not take reservations, my father came down in person and talked to staff directly the day before and also arrived before the guests to secure the table. They did a good job accommodating the size of our party.

I was not impressed by the service. We were there from 6:00 to 8:00pm and my drink was refilled once. We had guests waiting 40 minutes for someone to take their order after arrival. The thing that bothered me the most, however, was the treatment we got form our main server. I ordered a fettucine alfredo and when it arrived, the plate was filthy. The bottom was practically spackled in brown grime. I had other guests look at it and they agreed it was filthy. I asked for a new plate much to the apparent chagrin of the waitress. She took it and almost immediately returned with the exact same filthy plate. One of my more assertive guests brought it again to her attention. The waitress rolled her eyes, threw her hands up in the air, and snatched the plate away. I was nervous to eat after that and sent it back just not to get anything further.

Other guests enjoyed their food which is why I'm rating this as 3 stars. And that pasta I ordered looked delicious. But due to the disgusting attitude of our primary waitress, I did not end up eating at my own wedding reception. Very disappointed.

1  Thank emmac1994x
Kyle M, Manager at Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

We apologize for the service you experienced. We will make sure the staff sees your comments. Please message us directly we would love to make this up to you. sgray@bardenay.com

Been to Bardenay Restaurant & Distillery? Share your experiences!