“Johnny Cash songs on the accordion...classic...”
Review of Schnitzel Garten

Schnitzel Garten
Ranked #14 of 76 Restaurants in Eagle
Price range: US$14 - US$25
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We offer the finest authentic German cuisine, along with fine wines and delicious beers from various German regions. You will be able to enjoy all this at a nice rustic location with outdoor seating and weekly live music!
Reviewed 24 October 2016

Okay, the shy teen playing the accordion was trying very hard to provide atmosphere to this German-themed restaurant in the middle of Eagle, Idaho. I give him props for trying, but Ring of Fire on the accordion? I digress. This is a smallish restaurant in a hard-to-find combination of strip mall and residential cul-de-sac. I have been to Munich several times. I know Munich. Munich is a friend of mine. And Schnitzel Garten, you are no Munich. But thankfully, you don't have to be. The menu is entirely German-themed food. You had better know what schnitzel and spaetzle are before you get there but there are no translations. Which is a plus as far as I'm concerned. It looks to be a small family-run enterprise. We had the Jager Schnitzel and opted for the $7 up-charge for veal. This is not an inexpensive place to dine. Not sure how they justify $21 for pork schnitzel and spaetzle but there it is. The choice of German beers is hit or miss. I chose 3 beers before they had one I wanted on a Friday night. Maybe they are new and working out the kinks. And yet I rate the Schnitzel Garten as very good. It is different enough, authentic enough, has good food enough for me to recommend as a fun night out. But please, do not request Johnny Cash songs from the poor accordion player. But if you must, please put a $5 bill in his tip jar. Sheesh.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

It was my 3rd time there. When I feel like German food, I always go to Schnitzel Garten. Great schnitzels & great sausages. Spätzle is my new favorite. Great atmosphere, very cute decor. There are big tables for large groups. Definitely I'll go back for more.

Reviewed 10 October 2016 via mobile

We had a great experience. The waiter knew the menu well and the beers well. He offered tasters for the beers without me asking.

The food was very good. Took me back 30 years when I was stationed in West Germany. They even had curry wurst....I haven't seen that in a long time! I ended up having the paprika wurst and the sausage was moist and very good. The waiter said they make all their own sausages in house. It came with mashed potatoes, but my wife's half chicken came with German warm potato salad and it was better than my mashed potatoes.

The beers were very good. Great selection.

Very pleased, overall. I will definitely make another trip out here to see their regular menu. The Oktoberfest menu was still in place for this visit so no rot kraut....:( Next time!

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Sorry that we went there this evening... The service was slow and uneven and the dinner when finally served was cold. The response was that they were very, very busy. I had to finally chase someone down for the bill. I asked for the name of the owner so I could call during non service hours. The lady that I asked said she was the manager. When I attempted to nicely complain I was told they were so busy and she curtly said sorry but you should come back when it's not so busy and it would be better. I told her I did not think I would come back, she said good we don't need your business.
1. Slow Service
2. Cold Food
3. Ran out of basic items
4. Owner with a poor attitude
Result: sadly should close down and not expect the public to put up with the attitude.
Sorry... The food, while cold, tasted good but wasn't worth the attitude of the owner.

Reviewed 1 September 2016

Plenty of nice options on the menu. Servers know their brew very well. We had the Schnitzel, mash potatoes and cucumber salad.
Salad was very good. Mash potatoes were a tad cold. Schnitzel needed more seasoning or just addition of salt. It was very bland.
Server suggested a brew which, I have to admit, was a grand suggestion. It was very good. We also had the apple schnitzel for desert. They were out of ice cream so had to experience without. With so many stores in the area, how someone couldn't run to get ice cream makes no sense to me.
We will make another trip just because we always give a place 2 chances and if they still don't measure up, we won't go back.

It is expensive. The quality is not worthy of the pricing.