“Good Stay but with lots of problems”

Hilton Chicago Indian Lakes
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bloomingdale
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Stay but with lots of problems”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here the first weekend in December for my family's first Cousins Girls Weekend Staycation. Over all the stay was a pleasanter stay even though we had tons of issues... I booked 2 hotels rooms for 6 people. The first hotel room was very very cold. We called and the maintenance staff came to the room to look at it and all they did was flip a switch and left. That night the room got even colder. Of course we complained to the front desk and was given free breakfast. AT the restaurant onsite we went down to get the breakfast buffett only to discover that they dont do the buffet on Saturdays... what we were told. So we all ordered an entree and a beverage. On TWO separate plates there was a long hair on the potatoes. The server and manager of the restaurant was nice enough to take the food back and bring fresh food. After breakfast we decided to ask for a different room. When we were ready to be transported to a new room we called the Front Desk for a bell hop and I waited about 25-30 minutes and they still did not show. After 30 minutes house keeping came to the door and told me that I needed to leave the room so her lady can come in and clean! I informed her that I called for a bell hop and as soon as he shows up then I will leave. She then informed me that I needed to leave now! She was so rude, it was basically an empty hotel and she was rushing us. I finally called again for the bell hop and explained the situation and the lady was nice and polite and apologized and he came right up. The second set of rooms were the same layout. However Once again one of the rooms didn't have the heat working. This time when the maintenance man came he went in the ceiling and reset and fixed some things and made sure it was working. Front desk called us to make sure everything was ok since we had so many problems.
ON Sunday when we went to check out we asked if we could the brunch since we had so many issues and was told no.. then we were told that we had to speak to her manager. Once the manager came and spoke to us She decided to comp one of the rooms for us for both nights. The front desk staff was friendly and professional and willing to accommodate. The housekeeping staff needs to be retrained and take some classes on how to speak to people.

Like I said overall it was a good stay. The beds were comfortable and the connecting rooms were nice. I would stay here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Make sure your heat works in your room before unpacking your luggage.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MZPASTRYCHEF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My fiance and I stayed for the date night package which included the room, dinner, movie, and breakfast. The staff at the front door and front desk were extremely polite and helpful, going out of their way to help. I cannot remember a better staff experience at a hotel, however that is where the good ended and the bad began.

When we arrived, the place looked run down and dated. It had a crumbly mildew stained wood exterior (not like the pictures online). The hallways are creepy, narrow, and winding. We were pleasantly surprised that the room was clean and looked better kept than the rest of the resort.

We went to dinner at Shiraz on the water. The restaurant was probably 20% capacity and they sat us elbow distance from a family of 5. We asked to move and were told the rest of the empty tables were reserved. The kids next to us were watching basketball games on their iphones the entire dinner with the volume extra loud. We saw our waitress 3 times the entire meal. The food was very poor. The house salads are 90% extremely bitter arugula. The prime rib was a terrible stringy cut which I struggled to choke down the majority of. My fiance ordered the salmon and took 2 bites of it. I tried it and it was dry and bland. We have made better salmon at home. It was the worst fish I have ever tasted. Towards the end of dinner the place started to fill up and I overheard another customer scream they had been waiting 20 minutes and hadn't seen their server, which didn’t surprise me.

The worst part about the whole stay was the teen party that didn’t end until 2am down the hall from us. They were running up and down the halls, slamming doors all night.

This experience could hardly be considered a romantic date night. I could not recommend this place to anyone looking to relax and get away. The date night package was subpar and not as advertised.

Room Tip: rooms facing the interior are loud
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonILR, Manager at Hilton Chicago Indian Lakes, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Hello!

Thank you for taking the opportunity to provide us with feedback on your recent visit to Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort. I appreciate your kind words regarding your experience with the front desk staff but I am extremely sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations. Your overall experience is certainly not a reflection of our normal service levels and I have discussed your comments with our Food and Beverage Director to ensure the necessary re-training occurs. If you have the opportunity to reach out to me directly to discuss your stay in further detail, I would appreciate the opportunity.

Best Regards,

Dino Simoncelli, Assistant General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Bloomingdale hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have stayed here twice... If find this place a little shining like in winter... Is has weird skiiny passageways to rooms, few/no food options and a cold cave bar in the looby that was someone's idea of fun 40 years ago.

The rooms are fine but the property is sprawling. The wireless is besically unusable and ony available in rooms next to the lobby. Do not plan to use an Ipad or smartphone on wifi here.

The staff are nice enough but incredibly bored

Probably will stay elsewhere on my next visit just too many quirks

• Stayed February 2011
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2012

If you are a local and looking for a “staycation”, this hotel is your best option. My husband, son and I have stayed here on NYE for the past two years. It is the best way to bring in the new year, especially with a little one. The rooms are really nice and spacious. The hotel will give you a fridge and pack n play for free too. We checked in at 1 and went straight to the pool. Afterwards, we had dinner at Shiraz. The prix fix menu is really good and the price is a plus. ($45 per person including a glass of champagne). On New Year's Day, we have breakfast at the Master's Clubhouse (if you are a Hilton Honors Diamond member, breakfast is free). The spread of breakfast items is amazing and it's the perfect way to start off the new year!

We will definitely be returning to this resort in the future!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KSM715
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you're looking for a spot to take the kids and have them splash the day or night away then a great choice. Bigger indoor pool than normal. Cool hottub with a little waterfall. The design of the hotel with the twists and turns ended up being a hit for the kids. We'd go back for a night with the kids in the middle of the winter cold. Haven't tried the summer but we're game.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank off33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomingdale
5.0 km away
5.7 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
2.8 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago West-Roselle

Been to Hilton Chicago Indian Lakes? Share your experiences!