“Neighborhood Japanese restaurant”

Hanabi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 105 Restaurants in Buffalo Grove
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Even though Hanabi Japanese Restaurant is located in a medium-sized shopping center at the corner of Dundee Rd. & Buffalo Grove Rd., we thought that it was more of a neighborhood restaurant. The restaurant is located in the far inside corner of the shopping center, so it is a bit hard to find. A good rule of thumb - face the Dairy Queen and walk or drive left. Don't forget where the Dairy Queen is after dinner. The staff is friendly in their best Japanese sort of way. The sushi rolls were freshly made and we also had miso soup and endamame. The prices were quite reasonable.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Food was acceptable. Nicely cooked and prepared, but a little flat tasting. Reasonably priced, quick service. Why 3 stars? When you walk in, you're hit with a musty odor. When we sat down, I was hit with the smell of cat urine. We sat at the table to the right of the door and in front of the counter. A large dehumidifier was running. It did nothing to eliminate the odor. I switched seats with my husband to distance myself a bit. He could smell it, too, but since he was congested, he was a bit numb to it. We didn't leave because my daughter selected it for her birthday and her friend's mother recommended it. I had a bout of dysentery this morning. We won't return.

Reviewed 16 December 2016

I enjoyed a lunch at Hanabi on a cold day in December. Thanks to the extremely tasty and filling Bulgoki from their lunch special, the cold was no longer an issue. The portion was very good and the price was very reasonable. It was extremely tasty and I was very pleased with the experience. While I didn't try any sushi on this visit, it looked quite good.

1  Thank ViktorTrue
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We have been using this place for years and will continue until the end of the days. Much better than in Japan. Five meals of $30 bring a 35% discount. Nice place for those who cannot stop eating.

1  Thank Margarita T
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Our family stopped here for lunch on Saturday. We ordered beef teriyaki, chicken teriyaki and sushi. Everything was pretty bad quality - the beef and the chicken tasted like it was previously frozen and warmed up in a microwave. The sushi was not fresh either; I think this is the first time me and my wife left sushi uneaten - we are not picky eaters, and sushi is one of our favorites. The beef and the chicken was left on the plates as well.
The waitress was nice - hence two stars instead of one. But we won't be back.

1  Thank Vlad043