“Wonderful Polish/Lithuanian food with terrific service!”
Review of Mabenka

Mabenka
Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Burbank
Cuisines: American, Polish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 September 2015

We had my Dad's 80th birthday party here in their private banquet room. Staff was very friendly and accommodating in all dealings prior to the actual party, in answering questions, setting the menu, etc. The day of the party, Oksa was our main waitress/party specialist, and she was just terrific. We had some time between when guests arrived and we were serving food, and I asked for a small plate of veggies to tide over one of the kids attending. Oksa said no problem, brought out whatever was needed, and the child's parents were very thankful. Additionally, Oksa and staff hung a white table cloth so we could show slides. She was just so easy to work with. And the food, the food was some of the best Polish food we've had. The cheese and sauerkraut/mushroom pierogi, stuffed cabbage, fresh Polish sausage, soup, everything. Definitely worth going back for. Whether you come for lunch or dinner, or choose to have your private party here, you will not be disappointed, in service or food. Wonderful!

Reviewed 16 August 2015

I can't say enough about this amazing restaurant! We were visiting with the kids for vacation. We're not really chain restaurant fans and wanted something different than we can get at home. Mabenka fit the bill perfectly. We were seated almost immediately by a smiling and friendly hostess. The decor is an odd mix of florals, fake flower wreaths and arrangements and lots of colors. It reminded me of something that older people would frequent. However, any concerns about that dissipated by the number of accents I heard around me from other diners. This is obviously a place where native Polish and Lithuanian folks eat. That says a lot for a restaurant and the quality of its food. The bread basket arrived and it was very different than your usual white dinner rolls and butter. The basket contained rye, some sort of bread with chunks of dried fruit and a very hearty wheat bread. All were tasty and different than you'd get elsewhere. There were also some saltines in the basket. It was very difficult to choose an entree since the menu is extensive. I am a vegetarian and the waitress was very helpful in guiding me to a selection that would make me happy. Obviously Eastern European food is typically very heavy on meat so there weren't a lot of options. I ordered the potato pancakes, my husband the pierogies and the kids ordered off the children's menu. The food was served with salad or soup. I chose the salad with house dressing (honey dijon that was very good). The salad had a nice variety of vegetables, including big chunks of bell peppers, which you don't often get on a restaurant salad. My husband ordered a chicken soup that had a hint of dill as his dinner accompaniment. He said it was tasty and unique. Our food arrived quickly after the salad course. The potato pancakes were saucer-sized and golden brown. They were served with two small containers of applesauce and two squeeze packets of sour cream. I usually like my potato pancakes with both but the sour cream contained gelatin so I didn't eat it. The pancakes were crispy on the outside and soft and doughy on the inside with just a hint of onion. There were 4 on the plate and I was only able to finish 2. My husband gave high marks to the pierogi. He ordered sauerkraut/mushroom and cheese varieties. They are served with bacon chunks on top, so vegetarians should definitely order them without that. The kids ordered chicken soup, grilled cheese and spaghetti with rave reviews for all. The kids' portions are generous and none of the kids except soup kid finished all of their entrees. We were able to get two entire meals out of most of the entrees and their leftovers. Judging from the size of the heaping platters being delivered all around us, I'd say this is common! Definitely not diet food but it was comfort food at its best. I would have loved to tried the honey cake for dessert (I heard rumblings around us that it was delicious) but I was stuffed. The wait staff was very friendly and kept refills and extra napkins coming. When we return to Chicago I will definitely pay Mabenka a visit!

Reviewed 13 August 2015

If you are looking for authentic Polish/Lithuanian food, you have come to the right place!!! I always come here for their cold beet soup and pierogis. The cold beet soup is just like grandma used to make. They also have a wide variety of delicious food to choose from. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 6 April 2015

Visited for breakfast and had potato pancakes with my order. Nice variation on American food. Good chance to try Polish food.

Reviewed 5 February 2015

Always a great meal...so much food for such a cheap price! The cabbage rolls are my favorite! We actually got it to go this time, and they didn't miss on ANYTHING, even the different types of bread for the soup and sour cream for potato pancakes!

Been to Mabenka? Share your experiences!