“Good Asian food”

Ranked #28 of 124 Restaurants in Carbondale
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Taiwanese
Dining options: Delivery
Description: We are a long standing fast casual Chinese restaurant that has served the Southern Illinois area for 25 years. We offer freshly cooked Chinese and Taiwanese dishes. We offer indoor dining, carryout and delivery service. Thanks for checking out our page!
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Dine in, carryout or delivery, the food is fresh, good and well portioned. There is a great vvariety.The offer counter order service and pay. The dining room and restrooms are clean and well maintained.
Do be prepared to wait because they don't make it until it is ordered, so be patient it's worth it.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Everyone I know loves New Kahala. We've been eating there for years, and are almost never disappointed. Prices are good, especially for the large portions. We generally allow 30-45mins to be "safe" for take out, though we may eat-in depending on the beer special. I no longer live in Carbondale, but make sure to get my garlic fix here whenever I'm in town.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

For the last few years that I've visited New Kahala, things have been pretty unchanged -- the food is made fresh & is very good, you have to be prepared to sit and wait a while for your meal, and you are served food on a styrofoam plate (or box if you order to-go).

Everything I've tried at New Kahala has been great -- in portion, price, and how it tastes. The crab rangoon is a favorite of mine here -- they strike a nice balance between the Sweetened cream cheese rangoon you find sometimes, and the more sour/bitter rangoon others prefer. The one gripe I have about the food is that a good amount of the time, the bamboo shoots, carrots, and some of the other denser veggies are cut into big chunks, then not really cooked long enough. While I understand variation in texture is a good thing (for instance the bean sprouts they use add a nice snap), some of the coarse, undercooked veggies feel like biting into a chunk of balsa wood.

The aforementioned wait is something you get used to, and kind of brace yourself for when you go to eat here. The styrofoam and flimsy plastic forks & knives are a bit of a negative mark against New Kahala, but given the very small size of the restaurant I guess I can understand why they would just want to forego having to wash their plates & silverware and instead went with disposable.

All in all, given how good the food tastes, this is a favorite restaurant of mine, despite some small issues with the restaurant itself.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

New Kahala is one of the best Chinese restaurants anywhere. The food is awesome, especially the mooshu pork. The one thing they need to improve is their plates and cutlery. No one wants to eat off of styrofoam plates with little flimsy forks.

Reviewed 12 April 2017

New Kahala has some great food. Unfortunately they are in no hurry to serve it to you. Be prepared to wait 30 minutes or more for you order at most times. And don't order online...they aren't great at checking those orders...we've shown up to pick up our order and they said 'Huh??", my wait started at the beginning again! But, good food, good prices, just have to be patient.