“Wonderful food”

Kaya Korean & Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 126 Restaurants in Carbondale
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Korean
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

We've been to Kaya many times and it's always been great! The food is fantastic, and the manager is so sweet. Many of the tables have a grill in the center if you're feeling fancy. I highly recommend the lunch bento boxes. Tofu is our favorite.

Reviewed 7 December 2015

It is really hard to find "real" Asian food in Carbondale since most food are modified to fit American taste, when I visited this place, I was surprised that they offer authentic Korean food. The majority of the customer there the day I visited were Asians as well, I talked to the owner and chef, they do target Asian customers. One thing about it is that it is kind of pricey being right next to the college, I would consider this place dining in a restaurant, not a place to grab something cheap to eat. They do have sushi and the chef does know his food. The Kinchi beef is nice to have during the winter. Overall I liked the food, had it been a little bit cheaper, I would give it 5 stars.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

Very simple, attractive decor. My first impression was a calm, uncrowded atmosphere. The uncrowded aspect is important to me. I use a walker. I would not hesitate to visit were I in my wheelchair.
Wonderful menu, well laid out, easy to read, good descriptions of the listings. Nice variety of choices in Korean and Japanese cuisine. The sushi menu looked extensive to me and when we found out it is buy one, get one 1/2 off, 3 of us ordered take home. Can't comment on that yet! I'll add that after lunch at home today!

The staff was friendly, but professional. Knowledgable about the menu and very helpful with answering questions not answered by the menu descriptions. The service was efficient.

When our order arrived, the food was beautifully presented. And it was as delicious as it was beautiful! The portions were generous. Oh, yes, we ordered the dumpling appetizer. Very good, But a free refill appetizer tray is standard for each table. It includes kimchi, radish, tofu and several other items.

Our server was very good about remaining attentive to our needs.

All in all, it was a wonderful dining experience! In fact, several,
(maybe all of us!) plan to return later this week. There's plenty of interesting variety on the menu to keep us going back again and again! Of course then we'll keep going back for more of those items that become our fav's!

I think that if you try Kaya, it will become one of your Carbondale favorites!

Reviewed 28 May 2015 via mobile

New owners/management really improved the interior of this place. Recently went there searching for lunchtime sushi with my boyfriend. Unfortunately, there were no sushi specials on the lunch menu, but the full sushi menu was available. Staff was friendly, though our server became fairly inattentive with drink refills, soy sauce requests, after she delivered the food to our table. Sushi was pretty good though.

Reviewed 14 April 2015

Background: I used to be a regular at Kaya restaurant in cdale. There was a period of years that I probably ate there at least once per week. Unfortunately, the restaurant went slowly downhill in the late 2000's, and after some especially bad experiences, I stopped patronizing them sometime~2013.

Today's experience: I just heard they are under new management, so I decided to give them another chance for lunch today. It was wonderful in every way! I had the beef bentos lunch special and it was delicious, beautifully presented, and more than generous in amount. I am so happy this place is "back". Please give them a try.

Lunch details: A small salad came out first -- just lettuce, nothing special, but with a very fresh orange dressing. When my bentos box came out it was almost too pretty to eat. The beef dish was very flavorful. I asked for it extra spicy and it came with just a little extra kick to it. The tempura was a real treat: broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, and potato slices. It was super fresh and just perfect. The marinated vegetables were an unexpected treat: cucumber, green bean, daikon, each marinated in different seasonings. Rice was perfect (seems like a no brainer, but at my last visit under the old management, it was overcooked). The california roll was good.

All in all, one of the best lunches I've had around carbondale in a while. I will definitely be back to explore their menu more.