“WOW! A culinary orgy of tastes!”
Review of Schwa

Schwa
Ranked #827 of 9,902 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed 20 December 2017

Third time visiting this unique, eclectic restaurant and each time has been a different yet totally mind blowing taste experience! Great service from unpretentious people who also are the same people cooking your food. Each dish is presented with an explanation. Each dish is better than the one before it, if thats even possible. These people put their hearts creativity into each bite. Very reasonable corkage fee. Outstanding menu, tastes and sounds in this small space. Party of seven, we all loved the casual, party atmosphere. You must try this place! Thanks Schwa staff for another memorable feast.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Schwa is the most unique culinary experience I have the privilege to partake in anywhere. The space is very sparse and ‘Heroin Chic’ - the food is truly the star of the space. Reservations are made over the phone and are a bit nebulous- but well worth it. The menu multi course tasting menu was AMAZING- with a beautifully balanced menu from appetizers to dessert- unequivocally the most umami menu I’ve experienced. The menu contained vegetables, fish, pork, Beef, and Dessert. This is a BYOB Restaurant- recommended one bottle per person
The staff was fun and AWESOME- they are extremely knowledgeable of the complex dishes you are enjoying- but so cool to as well. The music is loud but appropriate. We will be back - with Whiskey for the Chef’s. I have been around the block more than once- We Loved Schwa!!!

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We ate at schwa for the first time Friday night. After years of trying to get in, we're from out of town and was hard to match up openings they had, we made it! It exceeded our expectations.

First I have to say this is a no frills restaurant where the focus is solely on the food. It's byob, which we loved, and the staff is laid back. In my mind the most exceptional course was the quail egg ravioli. Freaking fantastic! But in all it was one great course after another.

We definitely will have to make it back!

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Highly recommend it for a different experience
Hard to find, but that is part of the experience
Blaring music of various tastes adds to the dark atmosphere
bring your own drinks -- again an interesting choice, but liked it!
A lot of interesting dishes
One of the best dishes I have ever had in my life was the quail's egg ravioli, melted in your mouth with butter. AMAZING!!!
Everything else was good and some were quite different, overall very satisfied.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

The restaurant has a fixed degustation menu. It is creative. I'll say I found four of so of the dishes really outstanding. The rest were pretty good. A couple were lacking.

The ambience was for younger people than me --I am in my early 50's-- louder music that I am used to. The service was quite good. The decor was strange for this type of place --pretty small, with few tables. It is quite affordable given the quality of the food.