“A Tasty Neighborhood Restaurant”
Review of Branch 27 - CLOSED

Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: West Town
Cross street: Noble
Transit: The Blue Line stops approximately 6 blocks East at the intersection of Chicago and Milwaukee Avenues. The CTA #66 bus stops directly in front of Branch 27 at the intersection of Chicago and Noble.
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We've been to Branch 27 several times. Whether in the dining room or in the bar area, the food was delicious and the service has always been friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is unique, comfortable and casual. Be sure to try the Bloody Mary with a meat skewer. Looking forward to another visit.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

What a joke! This place was a complete disappointment. We had a brunch reservation for about 25 people as a post day wedding breakfast for my nephew and his new bride. It ended up that we ate in shifts and when the food did arrive to people it was cold and flavorless for the most part. The big problem was that they didn't seem prepared for our group and the wait staff had absolutely no personalities at all and the kitchen could not handle that size of a group. I would say that it took at least 10 minutes between groups of people to get served and it was at least 45 minutes from first to last. Now lets talk food. The special menu they had for us was good but the food itself was fair at best. Housemade sausage was just ok flavor wise but since it was cold it really lacked. The eggs weren't cooked propery either as the whites were runny no matter how they were ordered and the "Brunch" potatoes were just cubed potatoes with nothing else added liked peppers or onions and had no flavor at all and needed seasoning. The one bright spot was the Bloody Marys, they had great flavor and just the right spice. I complained to the manager about halfway through, he was somewhat apologetic but made excuses saying that he told the person who made the reservation for us that this would happen. I talked to the same person and he said that he was never told that. They even have flyers posted around stating that they have a back room to accomadate up to so many people and that they welcome this type of party! Although I live out of town I will never refer friends here and if I did live here I certainly wouldn't rush back anytime soon weather it was for breakfast, linch, dinner or drinks. With so many choices in Chicago, do yourself a favor and pass right by this place. By the way I forgot to even mention that the people who were getting served late were told that they ran out of eggs.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We went to Branch 27 to try its mussels mania Mondays, advertised as with a choice of sauces for $13. The night we went, there were 3 choices, spicy and spicier and spiciest. All the sauces were "premade," so no requests. Those that had the steamed mussels had servings about the size of a usual appetizer serving--about a $1 worth at retail; a small beer but no sides came with. The mussel pasta prep was recommended by the server: 9 mussels in the shell, mostly bread crumbs, some so gritty and sandy as to be unchewable--set atop a serving of not-very-good mac and cheese. We went home hungry, but probably not as hungry as the couple across from us who sent back their dinners, something on a bun (maybe a burger) with fries. She looked really annoyed, and they hustled out of Branch 27. Restaurant was almost empty; bar was full.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just went there for drinks last night. Friendly staff and great atmosphere. Their menu looked great!

Reviewed 20 August 2011

On the last day of a long Chicago weekend trip, we visited Branch 27 that's located just west of downtown - read cheap and plentiful parking - for their Mussel's Monday special. While I can't speak for the rest of the menu (although the burgers looked huge) the mussels were great. They come prepared three ways, in the shell with either a garlic cream or mustard sauce and as mussel tacos. We had the later two and both were great. At $13 which INCLUDES a glass of Bell's beer. What a value. Our server (I think her name is Tracy) was friendly yet professional and very knowledgeable about both the food and the wide beer collection. The restaurant became busy while we were there, but never felt too crowded nor were we rushed in any way. This was much unlike our experience the previous night at Bistronomic (see my other review). Of the three restaurants we visited during this trip, the bill at Branch 27 was by far the least expensive, but provided the best overall experience. The only improvement that I suggest is to add more draft beers to the collection than the current approximately eight. While I understand that the beers rotate regularly, the night that I was there only had one that was in my taste zone. Overall, major kudos to Branch 27. We will be back every time we are in Chicago.