“Bloody Mary is the bomb”
Review of The Handlebar

The Handlebar
Ranked #612 of 10,109 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 11 November 2017

Great little breakfast place with good service, excellent food and a perfectly-spiced bloody mary. Love their philosophies (see website) and will visit again when I'm back in Chicago.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We started with the "chili" cheese fries. Very good
I had the fried avocado grilled sandwich and my partner had the sambala tofu. The tofu was well cooked, plentiful and seasoned really, really well. My sandwish, one the other hand was a mess. In addition to the cheese and avocado, there was also onions, mushrooms and spinach inside. It made for a wet, sloppy mess. Problem I've found with sandwiches with mushrooms and/or spinach in them is that they have a tendency to not bite through cleanly, so something is always getting pulled out of the sandwich and that the half of the sandwich that you haven't yet eaten gets to be a soggy mess from sitting on the plate, by the time you get to it. Those are always disappointing occurrences Also, with all of those strong flavors crammed in, the sandwich loses being a grilled cheese and becomes an assault of flavors. In short, the toppings overpowered the heart of the sandwich.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

When my niece recommended this restaurant, I thought it was a gay bar--a gay bar for brunch, no way. Well, I was wrong with mixed emotion. What a cute, eclectic, trendy little establishment. As this was my first meal in Chicago, on this trip, I was super-excited to see that they had vegan Biscuits and Gravy. What a wonderful surprise...and was it good? Yes, it was good. I devoured my meal. Everyone else with me enjoyed their meal as well.

I would certainly go back to Handlebar.

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

My carnivore friends are always pleased. They do have cheese. I personally liked their jackfruit tacos. They are more on the sweet side. You can also get appetizers that'll fill you up. The vegan sprinkle cake from pie pie my darling is good for those who like more of an oil based cake.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

I recently committed to a vegan diet and going out to eat has proved to be a challenge. This place is heaven for vegans looking for menu options beyond salad. So many delicious comfort foods- everything from appetizers, main dishes, and dessert. And many of the options that are vegetarian can easily be made vegan upon request.

Been to The Handlebar? Share your experiences!