“Mother's day, 2017 - GREAT Italian”
Review of La Scarola

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Mother's day weekend we went to Chicago to visit our son. For dinner Sunday he took us to La Scarola. What a great experience. Possibly the best breaded zucchini appetizer I've had. Wait staff was on the ball, but not on top of you. Our dinners were not really expensive for downtown Chicago. They were terrific. We all had to have take home boxes. Will go back again

2  Thank conduc2r7

Reviewed 14 June 2017

This was one of the best eating experiences I have had in Chicago. Coming to Chi-Town a million times I had an old buddy from my MBA program who said have you eaten at "La Scarola"? I responded that I had not and got a 30 minute lecture from there.

We had reservations at 7 for my wife, daughter and I on Saint Patricks day. Even with a reservation the house was full. The host said it would be a while even with a reservation (I cannot imagine what the wait would have been without one) so he suggested we go to the Irish Pub nextdoor on the corner. So we strolled into Emitt's for a pint and pleasantly surprised by the stack of bag pipes playing on the bar. After half an hour or so we strolled back and were told to hang out in the bar while waiting another 45 minutes for our table. The bar is more of a bar top with a small passage way while watching some of the others also waiting with reservations get hammered because La Scarola knows how to make a drink. Don't order the double, because the single already is.

Normally, I would have been annoyed by the wait even with a reservation. However, we noticed that they had managed to fit in a 2 top table in every hallway, corner and literally people sitting on each other. This made me think that the food must be out of this world if this many people are willing to be what feels like a cattle car packed environment just to taste the food. This, plus the interesting people watching (to include one guy making out with another guys girlfriend while he was turned around talking to some strangers and yes they were a bit under the influence) and the feel of waiting for Al Capone himself to round the corner made it for better than cable TV entertainment.

We finally got seated and the wait was worth it. The food was incredible. My daughter, who can be a very selective on her food taste, loved the place and still speaks of it.

Don't miss this and it is worth the wait.

1  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I'm shocked after reading several reviews and actually going to this place. All of the food was either totally smothered in Cheese or had more of a Mexican season flavor rather than Italian. Truthfully I almost felt bad writing this because so many guests said they had good meals. I think they market themselves via the hotel concierge's and that is why when most of the clients are probably used to Olive Garden or Carraba's in their home towns this probably does seem better.

There are LOTS of better places in Chicago.

1  Thank Spacesales
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Had reservation, waited a little bit but well worth it. Our waiter Gustabo was excellent as was the food !!

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

If you don't have a Nonna to cook for you than the next best thing is La Scarola. Traditional Italian dishes in a fun atmosphere. Good portions and reasonable prices. It says on the menu their pasta e fagioli is the best, it is! Gnocchi is done right and delicious.

1  Thank amcg101