“Old School service and food.”
Review of La Scarola

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I have been there a number of occasions for dinner and appetizers. Prices are reasonable and the pictures on the wall are almost museum like. Expect the floor to be busy and crowded but worth it by all means.

1  Thank Carty52

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We went there on the recommendation of friends. It's a small place with interesting atmosphere and good food. They are very kid friendly and the service is great.

1  Thank CaptainCalabash
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Got a recommendation to go to La Scarola from a friend so we made the effort to get there last night during our 3 day visit to Chicago.
Arrived at 8pm and place was packed on a Wed night! Got sent next door to have a drink for 15 min...no problem! Table was ready when we came back!
The walls are filled with great photos/autographs from celebrities, fun to view. There are a lot of tables on this place so there isn't much privacy, but who cares!! Waiters are plentiful and the service was good.
Good took about 30 min but it was marvellous!! My Italian buddy was with us and he loved his meal, chicken primavera! Large portions, we all tried the others meals and the sauces we deliciously different for each type of pasta! I am GF and had the penne with meatballs, out of this world good! Our other friend started with Oysters then eggplant parmesan.
We had a couple rounds of drinks to go with this feast, total bill was $120 for the 3 of us. More than fair!!! Do yourself a favour and make a reservation here the next time you are in Chicago, you won't regret it!!

2  Thank Coylie14
Reviewed 20 June 2017

Mother's day weekend we went to Chicago to visit our son. For dinner Sunday he took us to La Scarola. What a great experience. Possibly the best breaded zucchini appetizer I've had. Wait staff was on the ball, but not on top of you. Our dinners were not really expensive for downtown Chicago. They were terrific. We all had to have take home boxes. Will go back again

2  Thank conduc2r7
Reviewed 14 June 2017

This was one of the best eating experiences I have had in Chicago. Coming to Chi-Town a million times I had an old buddy from my MBA program who said have you eaten at "La Scarola"? I responded that I had not and got a 30 minute lecture from there.

We had reservations at 7 for my wife, daughter and I on Saint Patricks day. Even with a reservation the house was full. The host said it would be a while even with a reservation (I cannot imagine what the wait would have been without one) so he suggested we go to the Irish Pub nextdoor on the corner. So we strolled into Emitt's for a pint and pleasantly surprised by the stack of bag pipes playing on the bar. After half an hour or so we strolled back and were told to hang out in the bar while waiting another 45 minutes for our table. The bar is more of a bar top with a small passage way while watching some of the others also waiting with reservations get hammered because La Scarola knows how to make a drink. Don't order the double, because the single already is.

Normally, I would have been annoyed by the wait even with a reservation. However, we noticed that they had managed to fit in a 2 top table in every hallway, corner and literally people sitting on each other. This made me think that the food must be out of this world if this many people are willing to be what feels like a cattle car packed environment just to taste the food. This, plus the interesting people watching (to include one guy making out with another guys girlfriend while he was turned around talking to some strangers and yes they were a bit under the influence) and the feel of waiting for Al Capone himself to round the corner made it for better than cable TV entertainment.

We finally got seated and the wait was worth it. The food was incredible. My daughter, who can be a very selective on her food taste, loved the place and still speaks of it.

Don't miss this and it is worth the wait.

1  Thank Jeremy S