“vegan weekend”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 13 September 2016

I had a vegan culinary adventure with my cousin this past weekend and I am not even vegan....yet. She may have won me over after this weekend. :-)
We had dinner at Karyn's the first night, and I fell in love with her food. I think we ordered half the menu to try everything. the southern plate, the black bean soup, the curry bowl, cornbread, mac & cheese, kale salad w/ mustard vinaigrette, brownie a la mode, and carrot cake. OMG! Then the next day we were walking through Lincoln Park and happened upon Karyn's again. So we ate at her raw bar for lunch. My first raw food experience w/ Karyn's has spoiled me. I definitely have high expectations for future raw food experiences after her lunch buffet. I couldn't get enough of her raw "polenta" appetizer! Love this place!
I wish I could have taken the restaurant/store home w/ me. But I settled for her Soak Your Nuts raw/vegan cookbook. It has nearly everything from her place in the book!! Can't wait to break in that book.

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Visited this establishment over the weekend. Enjoyed the food and smoothies! I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

whether you like vegan food or not, you will eat delicious food here AND feel so good afterwards! (don't forget to try dessert)!

Reviewed 8 July 2016

Karyn's Cooked (Lincoln Park-Chicago) - A few things really caught my eye on the menu, and based on my experience at Karyn's on Green -another restaurant by Karyn- I expected great, vegan food. My lunch consisted of green enchiladas with a wonderful crisp, Spanish rice and black beans.The enchiladas were made with corn tortillas, garlic mashed potatoes and tomatillo sauce. I tasted the corn bread and vegan mac and cheese. Altogether, a wonderfully exquisite and thoughtfully composed meal, and knowing that my meal was entirely vegan and healthy, I felt great afterwards. Absolutely no regrets.

Reviewed 4 July 2016

I've been to Karyn's 6 times... Today was my last.

The food is definitely above average-- there are a couple of dynamite dishes to try, i.e. Raw enchilada, raw nut cheese plate, all of Karyn's soups, and the coconut shake is superb.

With that being said, the service is dismal. The last 3x my husband and I have been there, our server has been a young African American, tall and slender male-- who has no business being in the service industry. His demeanor is dry, unpolished and bored. When he has ventured to make any small talk, it has been sarcastic and unwelcome commentary. For instance during our lunch today, my husband and I were searching the web on our cell phones for girl's names because we're expecting our first child this December. Noticing that we had been on our cell phones the majority of lunch, our server made the snide comment when dropping off the check to my husband, "there's an iPad in there." --apparently as an incentive to look at the bill? Which was only insult upon injury since we had planned on ordering coffee and dessert, but were never asked if there was anything else that we wanted.

Or there was the time when I presented him the groupon on my cell phone when the check was delivered, I received a sarcastic smile with "you've used this before, right?" Confused I retorted, "What? No this Groupon has never been used before." He then rolled his eyes at me and huffed like I was boring him and said, "No, I mean you have to press View Voucher and then Redeemed. Haven't you used a Groupon before?"

This unfortunately has become the experience at Karyn's which now has overshadowed the quality of the food. The last 3x we've been there this has been the service.

In my book, 3 strikes and you're out seems fair. We will not be returning.

Note: For anyone wondering, this treatment was not based on our gratuity either. Even as poor as the service has been, he benefacted 20+% of the bill every time. Although it was not at all deserved or earned, my husband and I are just not the type to stiff the wait staff. Our route is just to never return.

Been to Karyn's Fresh Corner? Share your experiences!