“Delicious Pad Thai in Downtown Chicago”

Big Bowl Chinese and Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Bowl Chinese and Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 9,926 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Ohio & Rush
Transit: The red line stops at Grand and State which is only a few minute walk to Big Bowl.
Description: Great food and even better Ginger Ale!!!
Reviewed 15 March 2017

My daughter and I visited Big Bowl on a recent vacation in downtown Chicago. We were in search of good Asian food at a restaurant that wasn't too fancy, but nicer than fast food. Big Bowl was perfect. I had the Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai and it was the best I've ever had. The portion was generous enough to have leftovers the following evening. They also make their own Ginger Ale, which has a very strong natural ginger flavor. Highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank Knani

Reviewed 9 March 2017

We went to the movie theater nearby and walked out hungry. Big Bowl was right there, so we thought we'd give it a try. Welcoming staff, lovely waitress. We got the potsticker appetizer and both the vegetarian and chicken potstickers were very good. My husband had the Chicken Won-Ton soup and it was excellent. Then I had the Yellow Chicken Curry and he had the do-it-yourself sauté option with the sesame chicken and the orange sauce. This is a very good idea, as my husband is somewhat picky about food and he got to pick out all the elements of the dish himself! Both entrees were great - the veggies are al dente and the rice is pleantiful. I'd go back in a flash! Very nice time.

1  Thank Kathryn J
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

Must try Chinese food Thai and Asian cuisine. The dumplings are amazing. Great food and drinks. Nice relaxing sit down dinner or a quick lunch. Great place to stop at while in Chicago. Minutes off the mag mile.

1  Thank Zieglerkt
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

I went here a couple months ago while I was on vacation in Chicago... Best Thai I've ever had! House made dumplings were fantastic, pad Thai (which is what both the manager and server recommended) with chicken was ridiculously delicious and well-portioned, the martinis were perfect. Could not have had a better experience because of one thing though- the service was incredible from start to finish. The hostess was friendly as was the manager who stopped by multiple times with useful information and smiles, but the real treat was Francesco's service.

I've been in the industry for almost 10 years and this man was the best server I've EVER had ANYWHERE from Boston to Miami to Chicago. I won't go fully into detail to spare you the shop talk, but he hit every single point of service you could ask for in a white table cloth restaurant (which this wasn't). He had at least 4 or 5 tables that I could count and approached every one professionally, proficiently, and with a genuine desire to be right there in that moment talking to YOU. Not to mention I ordered two martinis and both were at my table in less than 3 minutes- kudos to him and the bartenders!

They say you don't need to have good food to bring back guests, just good service. This place had great service, incredible food, and wonderful ambience with an open kitchen. I'll be back!

Reviewed 21 February 2017

We were looking for Brunch on Saturday. Many of the restaurants in the area were filled with people waiting; fortunately, there was only a short wait at the Big Bowl. As we were waiting and a young couple were leaving, one of our party asked, "How as it?" The answer, "Terrific." He was right. Lots of interesting Chinese and Thai options including: delicious hot and sour soup for one, or for 2-3 people (we chose the latter); fresh stir-fry options with an assortment of fresh produce from which the customer could choose as well as various sauces and topics, again for choice. Again, two of us shared one order; lettuce wraps which were just delicious -- again enough for 2-3 to share. Four of us ate really well for under $55.00. The food was interesting, tasty, and delicious. Service was respectable but not great; perhaps because of the restaurant was so busy. But overall, a lovely lunch-time dining experience.