“ONE OF THE BEST SUSHI IN CHICAGO”
Review of Bob San - CLOSED

Bob San
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed 28 October 2014

Not from Chicago but Sushi lover, I try a few Sushi restaurants each time I'm in town. Second time in Bob San and certainly not the last! Quality, freshness, efficient and friendly service and all that for a more than reasonable price. From classics to more "open" version of traditional Japanese sushis, each type of fish is tasty and the rice is just perfect. I also appriciate they have different imported Japanese bear. Nice and cosy looking place and great selection of lounge music in the air. Perfect place with no doubt!

1  Thank Richard l

Reviewed 6 October 2014

I did not eat here so I can not review that. We jut finished eating dinner elsewhere and passed this place and it looked like to much fun to pass up. We walked in and got a drink and before you know it we were signing karaoke until 2am. Great place with a laid back feel so even if you are not a good singed like me it is not intimidating to get up and sign. Would definitely go back for some more karaoake.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been coming here for a few years now. We always sit at the sushi bar and talk to Bob. He does a great job recommending items. If you come here do not be boring and just get the rolls. I recommend trying the Chef Specials, pan flatten scallops, and the oyster shooters. So yummy! Getting hungry just thinking about it.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I really want to give this place one star, but the problem I had was not entirely their issue it was partly mine. This resturant was BYOB for 13 years, since it opened in 2000 I believe. When i showed up with my bottle of wine they told me I couldn't open it because they were no longer BYOB and hadn't been in "a long time." Well, turns out they are no longer BYOB as of only 12 weeks ago. They should list this on their website that they have made a change. I just felt the way it was handled was less than stellar, but I was possibly slightly overreacting. They did let me open it for a $15.00 corkage fee which is their new requirement. So after that rocky start I was slightly off but continued my night. If you know the area you know this is a nice place to sit outside. The main reason to go there is because it is a great outdoor space on division with sushi. There are only a couple other spots in the city you can eat sushi outside (Mirai, Seadog, Sushisamba, Sunda). The service was not great, they were responsive but as an example they dropped off a large plate of different rolls without telling us which roll was what. Totally bizarre. The sushi was totally average, just not a lot to it. Not bad, just not good. So for food I give this place 3 stars (maybe 2.5), outside atmosphere I give it 4, service it was about a 2 at most.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is for the sushi restaurant. I like sushi and thought this was only okay. The tea was very good but I found the sweet potato roll and cucumber avocado rolls underwhelming. Service was only okay once we got one order. Water refills were good but if we wanted more tea or drinks, we had to wait or yell to get someone to help us.
Splitting the bill was a nightmare--I am not deducting any stars for that though.