“We had a long wait for breakfast, but it was worth it!”

Southport Grocery & Cafe
Ranked #605 of 10,804 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$6 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Lakeview
Description: Stop by and experience our exciting array of specialty food groceries and a charming café serving modern comfort food. Southport Grocery & Café captures the quality-focused, yet down-to-earth nature of its Lakeview neighbors. This same balance occurs in the café’s kitchen, with dishes that are at once modern and new, yet accessible and comforting.
Reviewed 30 December 2017

Turned out to be brunch. Everyone's meal was absolutely delicious. I had an omelet which came with salad and a biscuit. I'm gluten intolerant, so passed the biscuit to my son--it was HUGE. I did sneak a bite, which was delicious. The coffee didn't taste very good to me, but maybe that was just me, because everyone else seemed to like it.

Reviewed 20 December 2017

Went there with our son on a beautiful Saturday afternoon for brunch. There was quite a wait but it was all worth it in the end.
Great menu and service. Everything extremely fresh. Catering to all tastes and allergies.
Highly recommend if you are in the area.

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

I had a late breakfast here with my parents and grown son, who had eaten here once before. We found paid street parking right in front of the place and were seated right away. We were here at about 10 AM on a Tuesday. Our server was friendly and helpful by offering suggestions on menu items and portion sizes. The tasty cupcake pancake, with a tiny bit of caramelized sugar on the top for texture, was very sweet, so I’m glad I only got one. I like that it was served with pure maple syrup. The bread pudding pancakes were very good, with a denser, moist texture, cinnamon butter, and a creamy, not-too-sweet topping on the side. The brisket gravy over biscuit was a nice savory dish with pieces of tender brisket and a few red pepper flakes for just a hint of heat. My son was happy with the chorizo and scrambled eggs dish. Coffee was good, and it was fun to investigate the packaged food items they offer as well. Good food, good service, no complaints!

1  Thank Tag1126
Reviewed 31 October 2017

I had breakfast here and ordered the hash. The coffee was really good, and the breakfast was very good and hot. My friend ordered the breakfast salad and I had a bite, it was also very tasty.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I love the baked goods and usually the food, but today the hash/briskit breakfast was so salty that it was inedible. We were in from out of town, with locals and we were all very disappointed. I do love the place though...we used their cupcakes for a wedding...so will try it again next time in town...anad hope it is better.