“Prepare yourself for 2 hours of a one-of-a kind dining experience!”
Review of Alinea

Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Had the full tasting menu with an excellent wine pairing. Plan to spend several hours for an absolute sensory overload! Dark chocolate sauce over rare prime steak slice with a superb cab. Book early, reservations needed a few months in advance.

2  Thank Virg U
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed 13 September 2017

For anyone looking at an interesting, edgy, fantastic restaurant experience -- Alinea is where you get it.
You get what you pay for.
Theatrical performance with food is the best way to describe it.
Fun and surprising
I cannot ruin the fun, but the tasting menu was perfectly paired with wine
The show they put on is worth it, and every dish perfectly prepared and presented
A lot of attention to detail and surprise
If you pay attention and look around, there are a lot of spoilers to be found within

My only suggestion to the restaurant: I would add one more meat/main dish in exchange for one of the desserts (i.e. Nostalgia) -- felt a little surprised and empty without this.
Otherwise it was perfect

1  Thank switsquid
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Having been to top restaurants around the world, I was incredibly excited to snag a reservation at Alinea. First "the great" - The food was honestly delicious and the presentation was amazing and lots of fun. We did the standard wine pairing and had some incredible wines we'd never had before. Second the "not as good" - The outside is unmarked, and when we entered there were three hostesses at the front desk who seemed a bit confused and did not greet us very quickly in a small awkward room. We were then brought upstairs to the salon, and we waited a surprisingly long time for someone to come to our table, although there was an unidentified appetizer on the table when we arrived. After a while, we ate the appetizer - but did not know what it was. We were finally greeted by our server and he was very nice and informative. Overall the food was perfect, but I wished I could have had a little more, and the presentation was unique and interesting. I would definitely bring a guest back to enjoy this incredible experience and almost have to assume that the first 20 minutes of awkward/non-greeting was out of the ordinary.

2  Thank familymidwest2015
Reviewed 9 September 2017

The ambiance is very nice. The food is definitely unique and on the cutting edge. Grant's live story is amazing. He is definitely an over-achiever. Extreme creativity. Although there are many courses, each one is tiny and I actually ate again after dinner. At $500 a person I didn't expect to do that. I have to say it was an awesome way to reconnect with a dear friend I hadn't seen in over 30 years after finding her on Facebook. Go for it. It's a great experience.

2  Thank LorrieP29
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Expensive but yes it's a lifetime experience. It's a dinner "show" but it's more of an art at its highest degustatoty level.
Will highly recommend and nobody should miss it.
Do it at least once in your life!!!

1  Thank brutusmaximus12

Been to Alinea? Share your experiences!