“Decent sichuan food”

Ranked #2,180 of 10,216 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Ok, this is not the best Sichuan food I have ever had. It was good, but not great...that having been said, good Sichuan food is pretty awesome. We ordered the crawfish special, lo mein and twice cooked pork. The lo mein was blah. The crawfish was spicy, but did not have enough of the numbing element. The twice cooked pork was great.

If I lived in Chicago I would come back every now and then.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

So let's get this bit out of the way - this place was on an episode of Bourdain (and that's where I first heard of it, and why I went). The food was excellent - the mapo tofu was some of the best I've ever had and I would be happy to eat it all the time. The service was very good as long as you're not expecting the staff to be obsequious - that's an American style restaurant thing from what I've seen all over the world, and they don't do it here. The menu is huge and has a ton of things to pick from. We also had an order of spring rolls and steam buns for the less adventurous folks at the table and they were both fine but I wanted everything spicy.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We tend to go back to our usual spots in China town because we are familiar with the place and the good food. This restaurant was highly recommended but very disappointing. Upon entering the restaurant we stood at the front an waited for a table or at lease someone to greet us, we were ignored. No sense of urgency to welcome your customers, it took more than a few minutes and this was very early in the evening. When we finally got a table our server was nice but lacked experience, very sad. Some of the food was good while others was not. I would suggest the chilled pork belly with garlic sauce, also the ground pork with glass noodles-very flavorful, and the tempura walnut shrimp-very good. We also tried the pork dumplings with chili sauce-very bland, pass on the chicken corn soup: stick with the egg drop or hot and sour. Towards the end of our meal we had to ask for our check, service was an issue with that it was a let down for our experience.

3  Thank Cale773
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Great aesthetic, easy to find in Chinatown, the food was all incredible and well priced. The Ma Po Tofu was some of the best I've ever had. Staff was a little standoffish.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

I usually write restaurant reviews with a reasonable knowledge of what I've ordered and eaten. This was an exception. We went with a wedding party of eight people, and arrived after a bunch of dishes had been ordered, including 5 or 6 fish, beef, chicken dishes that, simply put, were sensational. My wife and I are from New York City, and frequent many of the Szechuan places in Flushing- so we do have standards. When asked if we could add some vegetable dishes to the feast, the waitress recommended another three of four dishes, including a lightly breaded cauliflower, and a spinach dish. All were superb. Simply put, if I'm in Chicago again, I'll be in Chinatown, eating at Sze Chuan Cuisine. Really a great meal.