“Amazing Bread Pudding French Toast ”

Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club
Ranked #599 of 10,215 Restaurants in Chicago
Reviewed 8 February 2016 via mobile

It was my first time to this place and I must say I am pretty impressed with the food. The bread pudding french toast that my husband ordered is to die for. My caprese omelette also needs an honorable mention as it comes with a walnut Pesto, something that you would not find in other omelette places. Waiting time is around 20 minutes when we came in around noontime on a Sunday and the parking is a little bit tough.

Reviewed 3 February 2016

I saw this brunch restaurant profiled on Check, Please. Perhaps it is due to, having heard the sterling reviews, that expectations had to outstrip reality. Perhaps it was because none of the menu items folks raved about on other reviews were available on the day we visited. I ordered one of the French toast varieties, served with mango and other fruit and some kind of cheese or cream sauce (not the crème anglaise, which is what I would have ordered, had it been available). Regardless of what sauce it came with, the French toast did not have the texture that would have made it great. It was doughy and too soft, as though it had sat on the side too long before being served. It should have had a slight exterior crisp crunch. I was left with the impression (true or not) that it was not freshly made for my order.

My adult daughter ordered an egg dish, which came with quite good (again, not great) hash browns. She said the eggs were properly cooked, and she is picky about that. I forgot what else we ordered, as it obviously did not make an impression.

We both had bacon: very good but not outstanding.

The pluses: coffee was excellent: strong and rich. Service was attentive and quick. They were very busy and we had a slight wait (reservations are not taken), but never felt ignored. It is a quite a small restaurant, so a wait is to be expected. We were there on a weekday, around 1 pm. Our order was taken promptly and delivered in a reasonable time. The restaurant appeared clean and well maintained, including the bathrooms and the floor. Wait staff appeared content and unharried, which I always look for as a sign of how a place is run.

I’d give the service a 5 and the food a 4. I’d go back, but with modified expectations.

Reviewed 14 January 2016

Could there be a homier, happier spot in Chicago on a cold winter morning? The quality of ingredients and care of the cooks is very evident here. Prices: excellent. There are many well-executed traditional brunch dishes, including healthy dishes, but many have something special and delicious, without being cute.

I had a crispy root vegetable hash with a red wine reduction, perfectly poached eggs, and chicken sausage. Will try to "reverse engineer" this dish at home, and I hope they take that as a tribute. But I doubt it's possible at home, and anyway, it wouldn't be served forth by the cheerful waitstaff of Bryn Mawr Breakfast Club. You really have to check this place out.

Reviewed 9 December 2015

If you like your breakfast spicy and eclectic, dine here. This place got rave reviews on Check-Please. I liked it it, but there is no alternative to a spicy blend breakfast with a Latino tone.

Reviewed 18 November 2015

First, the ambiance is quite eclectic which makes you feel right at home.
Second, impeccable service from the young hip staff
Third,an incredibly varied menu from omelettes,skillets,tacos to pancakes and French toast.
Lastly, and most importantly the food is sensational. All the dishes our group tasted had taste galore with lovely presentation and garnishes.
I am going back today for the third time this week and it takes me a half hour to get there.