“Meets the Test”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #80 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here over a weekend recently without really knowing what we were getting. All turned out just great! First of all, this is a business hotel, similar to the many I stayed at during my working days. But, don't let that deter you. The staff was great, from Michelle at checking in to our checkout. All the employees were friendly, helpful and seemingly enthusiastic about their job. We asked for a room up high and we got it with a great view of the Chicago river. The hotel is well located for walking Michigan Ave or heading over to Millennium Park. As a morning runner, I would recommend crossing the river to River Walk trail. Head toward Lake Michigan and you'll connect to the Shoreline trail where you can run for miles in either direction.

We would stay here again. This hotel met all of our needs.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fasteddie100
Write a ReviewReviews (5,160)

Reviewed 21 August 2017

With my work, I'm fortunate enough to go to Chicago every August for several days of meetings. I look forward to my trip there as I've gotten to know many of the restaurants and local shops. One of my favorite things is my stay in the Sheraton Grand...It truly is a great place to stay. The gym is awesome and looks out over beautiful scenery. It's right on the river so you can go out at anytime and sit by the water. The food is WONDERFUL and the service is EXCEPTIONAL and the location is PERFECT, it's just a quick walk over to the Miracle Mile and all that it has to offer. The rooms are also super clean and quiet. The meeting rooms are very convenient too, which makes it great for coming and going. Already looking forward to next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimberly C
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Being an SPG member we had our pick of about 8 hotels to choose from for our week long Chicago vacation. After reading a bunch of reviews and looking on the maps we decided to go with the Sheraton Grand. We were very happy with our choice. Being a family of 5 we wanted to be near a little bit of everything and this was it. I will break it down by categories.

Staff-Grade A+: The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The check in process was as easy as walking inside and saying my last name. When he saw that we are preferred Gold SPG members we were offered a room on the 31st floor overlooking the river. The concierge staff were very insightful and informative (as they should be) but they were also very patient with all of our questions. The cleaning staff were sweet as could be and very thorough. Every staff member always said hello and asked if there was anything we needed.

Cleanliness-Grade A+: From the outside surroundings of the hotel, to the lobby, elevator, gym area, restaurant and bar, hallways, room and bathroom. It was one of the cleanest hotels we have been in.

Room-Grade A: It was a normal size double bed as far as the size goes but the amenities were great. The television was a very sharp 42 inch flat screen with a lot of options and very easy to navigate. The beds were the some of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The bathroom was brightly lit with a cool light all around the mirror. The shower head was very strong and the hot water was instant. The closet was very big and offered options of hanging and folding on a top ledge. There were two things I would change about the room. One is the type of safe that was in the closet. It had a key instead of the kind you make up the code for and it was a little on the small side (we couldn't fit anything wider than 3 inches). We like the code type but this is a preference thing. The other thing is the type and location of the snack bar. It is uncovered and right next to the tv. So when our youngest saw a can of Kit Kats he immediately grabbed it off the pressure sensitive pad and we would have been charged for it. I called down and they took care of it immediately and we explained to the kids, "Do Not Touch".

Location-Grade A: We wanted a hotel near the riverwalk and this is on the riverwalk so we couldn't have been closer. We were able to walk to the Magnificent Mile in about five short minutes, Millennium Park in about 15 minutes, Navy Pier in about 10 minutes. For those days where we were just too tired an Uber was a great way to get around and even our longest trip, to the Museum of Science, only cost $20 and that is for the XL car.

Gym-Grade A+: This gym was the largest one I have been to in a Sheraton property. Plus the equipment was brand new and well maintained. We loved the fact it was open 24 hours. The only downside (but it didn't retract from the grade) was the sauna was out of order in the locker room.

Elevators-Grade A++++: Yes the elevators get their own category, LOL. I have never been in a hotel with faster elevators. They were fast to arrive to pick us up and fast to get us up to the 31st floor. Even at the busier times of day there are enough of them they we never had to wait more than about 30 seconds at most.

So as you can read the hotel has a lot to offer and I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose this hotel for your stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: Try to get on with a view of the river. The higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan D
Reviewed 20 August 2017

My wife and I checked in for a mid-week stay. I had called prior and talked with Eric S. explaining that a special occasion was planned. He made us very like we were royalty! Eric and the rest of the staff at this property are all amazing! I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this Team and will be recommending to all my friends her in Cali. Thanks Eric....You ROCK!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed on 32nd floor for 3 nights. Superb beds and pillows. Recommend the on site burger joint (Chicago Burger Co) for lunch near the canal. Decent meeting/board rooms. Very helpful staff on Reception Desk. Walking distance to Navy Pier & Michigan Ave (shopping). Happy to recommend this hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo