“Generic”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #79 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

My room here was clean and comfortable, with an awesome view over the River toward the Wrigley Building. Loved sending pics of the view back home.

Otherwise found the hotel to be a massive, generic behemoth. Stayed here as I had a conference rate, but wish I had stayed at the smaller and more personable Virgin where I ended up over the weekend after my meetings were done.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
SheratonChi, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Hello Stephan T.

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to share your review with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the view of the Chicago River and surrounding area from your guestroom. We appreciate your business.

Kind Regards,

Shaun M.
Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,162)

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was for the Cubs Convention. It was the first year the Sheraton was hosting, and we much prefer the Hilton for the convention.

I ended up back at the Sheraton Grand Chicago after booking a blind deal through priceline. It must say the hotel is much more enjoyable when there aren't a million cub fans walking around.

Even with the great rate we ended up in a room with a view of navy pier. We walked down in the evening and watched the fireworks from the river. It was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now for conferences. On the surface, it seems well appointed but upon close inspection, this site is in need of a refurb. Examples of this are the bathroom door flaking apart due to past water damage, and the epoxy coating on the shower tiles and soap dish peeling off. Lighting is poor, furniture is scratched, and the daily housekeeping was extremely minimal. I had seen a spot on the bathroom tile near the toilet that appeared each time I showered; I finally realized it was an old urine stain. Other guests in my party noted half-empty water bottles left in their brand new room upon entering for the first time as well as an overwhelming smell of urine in their bathroom (this was in a suite).
Also noticeable is the caliber of the staff. I didn't realize the extent of this until I spent some time across the street at the Loews Hotel; the staff there is noticeably more professional, attentive and skilled at what they do.

Room Tip: Ask for river view as you get both city and river views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Eva E
FD_Manager1, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Hello Eva E

Thank you for taking time to share feedback regarding your recent visit to the Sheraton Grand Chicago. I am so sorry for the cleanliness challenges you faced during this visit. This is surely not the type of service we strive to provide each and every day and I have shared this feedback with my team to ensure this is addressed. I do hope we are able to welcome you back and rectify this experience at some point in the near future.

Kind regards,
Eric B.
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 11 November 2017

This trip was to celebrate my mom's 70th birthday and it was the best birthday ever! We were going to be staying in Chicago for a week and planning the trip started out pretty rough. I called the SPG reservation line and after a few conversations I almost decided to go back to Marriott. I'm a Platinum member with Marriott, and have been for a few years, and I usually have no problems but trying an SPG hotel for the first time proved to be more of a headache. THEN, I decided to call the hotel directly and everything changed. Let me say, the next time we go to Chicago, we will certainly be staying at the Sheraton Grand Chicago!!
Mr. Wahied Helmy, one of the desk managers was FANTASTIC! UTTERLY FANTASTIC, professional, attentive and made sure that my mom had the best trip ever. Even had Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries complimentary sent to our room for my mom's birthday! Classy!
I had some difficulty trying to book a particular room for myself, my mom and sister but Wahied made sure we got the room we wanted and them some.
The Ogden Suite is fantastic with beautiful river views! The room was more than what we could image. Viewing the pictures online, the hotel reminded me of homes furnished in the 70's style but when we arrived the rooms and decor were very nice.
One of our side rooms had an unusually awful smell but as soon as I informed conceirge they took care of it right away.
The Lounge was great, continental breakfast wasn't what we were used to in past travels but it was all very good. Everyone who worked in the lounge was WONDERFUL....especially CONNIE. I hope that she'll always be there when we book.
Pleasant disposition, very friendly and the perfect compliment to the lounge.

This was certainly a wonderful trip and, thanks to the ENTIRE STAFF at the Sheraton Grand Chicago, one that we can't wait to take again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a River View, about the 16th floor are GREAT
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kymmie1
Reviewed 10 November 2017

STAN at the bell desk is AMAZING! We were in town last week for a conference and I had to leave items for members of our staff to be delivered to their room and he was absolutely wonderful and helpful! Didn't have to worry about a thing or check up on deliveries, everything was handled perfectly. Also - he was just genuinely a pleasure to speak with that day, smiley and happy! A gentleman!!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business