“Expensive, nice room, terrible wifi in rooms”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #77 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I stayed at this hotel because of a conference held there. Nice view of the Chicago River from the room, which was large and comfortable. But wifi in the room was weak to non-existent at times (similar stories from others at the hotel). They offer a better connection at a price, though. Seems like price gouging to me. Also, if you check out early, they will store luggage, but not coats. Very inconvenient to lug my coat until I actually left the hotel. I wish all hotels would offer a light blanket if guests don't want that heavy duvet.Beware of all the taxes added to the price of the room. After the tourism tax and the county tax, there was "Tax Other." I asked what that is, but no one at the reception desk knew what that "other tax" was for. They just know that it's automatically added in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
SheratonChi, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Hello mickey8,

I appreciate you sharing your experience and wish we didn’t fall short in this situation with regards to your Internet connectivity. We believe in action, so I’m sharing your feedback with our IT team so they can review. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing our hotel.

Kind Regards,

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,180)

Reviewed 16 November 2017

I stayed at this hotel during my business trip. The room was spacious, good amount of natural light coming in from large window. Nice sized desk to work on, with interesting, modern designed desk lamp.

Fully stocked mini-fridge,with all sorts of drinks, so there is no space to put personal food or drink items... Snack bar with sensor system, so I was very careful not to touch it. Mini coffee machine with Starbucks coffee on the bottom.

The bathroom was a good size too, with two mini water bottles for free, which was very nice and considerate. Not many hotels nowadays give you water for free anymore, which is really sad. All the necessary items (hair dryer, toilet paper, towels) were found under the sink counter, and iron & Ironing board inside the closet.

One thing was that I couldn't figure out the thermostat, maybe it was broken. The room was cold so I upped the temperature, but it kept blowing cold air, no matter what I did. So, I just had to turn it off. It was either completely off, or blowing cold air, regardless of temperature setting (and yes, I did select "hot" instead of "cool" on the monitor).

The lobby was huge and spacious, lots of room to sit around and relax or work. Looked really nice, as it is the face of the hotel. It contains a few restaurants for convenience as well. The elevator is separated to lower level floors and upper level floors, so make sure you get on the right one. The staffs were polite and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank foodlovergirlny

Thanks for your nice review and giving us a detailed overview of your experience and feedback. We will review your comments with our teams. We look forward to your next visit!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

My room here was clean and comfortable, with an awesome view over the River toward the Wrigley Building. Loved sending pics of the view back home.

Otherwise found the hotel to be a massive, generic behemoth. Stayed here as I had a conference rate, but wish I had stayed at the smaller and more personable Virgin where I ended up over the weekend after my meetings were done.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
SheratonChi, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Hello Stephan T.

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to share your review with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the view of the Chicago River and surrounding area from your guestroom. We appreciate your business.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time was for the Cubs Convention. It was the first year the Sheraton was hosting, and we much prefer the Hilton for the convention.

I ended up back at the Sheraton Grand Chicago after booking a blind deal through priceline. It must say the hotel is much more enjoyable when there aren't a million cub fans walking around.

Even with the great rate we ended up in a room with a view of navy pier. We walked down in the evening and watched the fireworks from the river. It was a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now for conferences. On the surface, it seems well appointed but upon close inspection, this site is in need of a refurb. Examples of this are the bathroom door flaking apart due to past water damage, and the epoxy coating on the shower tiles and soap dish peeling off. Lighting is poor, furniture is scratched, and the daily housekeeping was extremely minimal. I had seen a spot on the bathroom tile near the toilet that appeared each time I showered; I finally realized it was an old urine stain. Other guests in my party noted half-empty water bottles left in their brand new room upon entering for the first time as well as an overwhelming smell of urine in their bathroom (this was in a suite).
Also noticeable is the caliber of the staff. I didn't realize the extent of this until I spent some time across the street at the Loews Hotel; the staff there is noticeably more professional, attentive and skilled at what they do.

Room Tip: Ask for river view as you get both city and river views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Eva E
FD_Manager1, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Hello Eva E

Thank you for taking time to share feedback regarding your recent visit to the Sheraton Grand Chicago. I am so sorry for the cleanliness challenges you faced during this visit. This is surely not the type of service we strive to provide each and every day and I have shared this feedback with my team to ensure this is addressed. I do hope we are able to welcome you back and rectify this experience at some point in the near future.

Kind regards,