“Classic Thai”

Taste of Thai Town, Inc
Ranked #2,721 of 10,078 Restaurants in Chicago
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Well done, fresh ingredient focused Thai food. The appetizer sampler platter for 2 had an array of standard classics (spring roll, shumai, Rangoon) that were not greasy and hand made versions. My wife's pad Thai was better than most with excellent sauce and nice chunks of Tofu. Generously portioned except it lacked some peanuts. The massamon curry I had was super tasty although I was expecting it to be a little spicier given the menu's asterisk suggesting it was spicy. The accompanying roti for dipping set it apart from other curries I've had. Nice wine list, pleasant service and reasonable prices.

Not quite sure what else was going on in the building- shops, wellness center, party rooms. Only 1 dining room was open so not sure if you'd have to wait if the tables in the room I was in were full. Bonus was it has its own parking lot.

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

Highly regarded chef owns this
place and the food was good
HOWEVER there were small mites
Craweling across our table.
Unacceptable! Middle of the meal my wife says we are never returning!

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a wonderful dinner date at this neighborhood Thai restaurant with an esteemed Chicago chef at a great price and food. The appetizers were delicious and the noodles, seafood.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

Reviews were all over the board, so decided to give it a try anyway.

Dining Room: Weird ambiance, not cozy, lights too bright, non inviting, kind of like a morgue, harsh, bright, and white.

Food: Fine, non exciting, asked for super spicy...it was not. Decent variety on the menu. Dessert was probably the best part, sadly.

I couldn't give this two stars, because nothing was really "poor". It's just that nothing was delicious, exciting, or stood out to me.

Probably will not return.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

Very disappointing. I am a big fan of Arun Sampanthavivat. We ate at Arun's several years ago, and thought it was an exceptional experience. However, my son ate there more recently and had a mediocre meal. I understood that Arun's closed down for awhile and recently reopened with a new partner, so I can't comment on Arun's currently. Taste of Thai Town is clearly Arun trying to have a much less expensive portal for people to experience his food.

Our experience at Thai Town would not give us any cause to return. We were seated at an very uncomfortable table in the front room, even though other rooms were available (a party was in one of the dinning rooms, and the downstairs dining room was not being used). The front room looks like a take out counter on one side (not active at dinner), and was not attractive.

We had chicken satay and tod mun. The chicken satay was not the worse I've had, but far from the best. The sauce was uninspired. The fish cakes were terrible!

The entrees were just OK, and I can think of many Thai restaurants that do a much better job in both preparation and service of much more visual appeal.