“An amazing experience one must try at least 1 time”
Review of Karyn's Cooked

Karyn's Cooked
Ranked #967 of 9,929 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went here for dinner after the boat show at MC CORMICK Place. It about 10 minutes away and actually had a parking lot (a rarity in the city). It has 2 sides, a take out deli type area with cookies, cakes etc... and a restaurant is to the right, it's small with about 20 tables, has a hip vibe and with friendly knowledgeable staff.
This is the only restaurant that i am aware of in Chicago that serves raw food dishes (not heated above about 100). In addition, they have cooked vegan food. Our waitress was very nice and helpful, thank God, because everything on the menu was foreign to me. I had the raw nachos for an apetizer-this was by far my favorite. The chips were made from dehydrated veggies, but the tasted like real chips, guacamole, fresh tomatoes and a sauce that tasted like cheese and sour cream (all non dairy), delicious. My Husband had black bean soup and Ron's salad, lots of colorful greens- he said very good.
The main course, for me, glass noodles with a Thai peanut sauce (raw and not my favorite )I will try something else next time. My husband had the enchiladas which were very spicy, served with rice and more black beans (huge portion). Finally, I had a pecan chocolate dessert-interesting, had the consistency of fudge, a little to rich for me. I wish I had the raw apple pie, which I heard was great.
I am trying to eat raw for a year and want to go here again and try some more dishes. They also have classes where they teach people the raw diet lifestyle, so cool. BTW, they had some signature juice drinks, tea and coffee. It's a BYOB if you want an alcoholic beverage.
Raw foodies, vegans, and those who are adventurous would love this restaurant. Very reasonable prices, especially for all the work entailed in creating raw dishes.

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Worth trying if you are open to new tastes and preparations. Some is very good, some not so much. Relatively pricey. In nice Lincoln Park neighborhood.

Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

I like the variety of foods and the food is good. You order at the counter then they bring it to you. They have yummy desserts and smoothies! Will definitely be back! (Free parking for guests is a huge plus)

Reviewed 8 January 2016

I am not vegan, not even a vegetarian but I love this place. I usually stop by this place when I in the neighborhood between 2-5pm because other restaurants around are closed. Karyn's Cooked is like a deli for vegans combine with a restaurant with a very casual atmosphere. I enjoy food here, it is always delicious and not too pricey. However some of the items from the deli are very pricey.
When you visit this place there is a huge probability that you will see/meet Karyn, the owner. She looks amazing! I think her vegan diet keeps her still young because at her age (68) she made some stunning photos in bikinis. Her body on this pictures displayed in the store (and on the calendar which you can take with you for free) look like the body of 20 years old lady.
After success of her deli and restaurant she also opened on the back of the store a day spa with very interesting services and very soothing atmosphere. She even took us from the restaurant to the back for the tour of the spa. We saw every single room and met all her polite and smiling staff. It was very nice of her.
Another good thing about this place is a free parking lot for at least 10 cars next to the restaurant (what is very unusual in this neighborhood).
Did you know that among her restaurant regular clients are celebrities as Lady Gaga, Tasha Smith, John Cusack, Angela Bassette, Orlando Jones, Boy George, Stevie Wonder, DelroyLindo, Steve Harvey and Beyoncé?
Also did you know that Karyn once modeled for McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Chun King and Budweiser?

Reviewed 11 September 2015

We loved this restaurant many times during our few days in Chicago. Food was reasonably priced and delicious. We had brunch, and lunch the next day before we left town. Veggie burger was fantastic and scrambled tofu was amazing.