Lowest prices for your stay
US$219
SAVE US$36
Hotels.comUS$206
Expedia.comUS$206
Trip.comUS$230
All reviews the loop wine hour office building the financial district marble floors rooftop restaurant beautiful hotel text message soaking tub cupcakes art institute mini bar walk in shower street level willis tower love this hotel room was spacious
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Even during COVID, this place managed to do a great job. Don't get me wrong, it feels much different here than it did over a year ago, with the awesome lobby bar shut down, having to ask for access to the gym, and other minor annoyances, but these inconveniences were made up for by the friendly service at the front desk. It was great to see Bobby and Lucas, and to be treated to a nice room upgrade and some bottled cocktails that were delicious and specific to the property. I'm eager to get back to "normal" but the Gray did really well in a challenging environment.

Date of stay: May 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2021

My fiance and I spent a weekend at the Kimpton Grey as a "staycation". Even though there were a lot of other hotel options at slightly larger properties, we opted to stay at this property because we have had such great service and experiences at other Kimpton properties. We were so so disappointed.

The Room: We stayed in a King Spa suite. It was well decorated, not particularly spacious and VERY dark. Our view was of the office building across the street. Definitely not the hotel you want to stay in if you want great views. But we knew that going in. The bed was comfortable and large. The bathroom was nice as well. However, we spent almost $100/night extra for the
Spa room" which is a room with a tub. There was something wrong with our bathtub such that the water level gradually drained out during the course of my bath. I had to refill the tub 4 times. Had we not paid a premium for it, I would be less bothered. But it was essentially a $200 bath.

Service: This is what I was most disappointed with. THERE WAS NO SERVICE. When we arrived there wasn't so much as "welcome, we are happy to have you". Just gave us our keys and that was that. Later that evening we came back from dinner and our key card wasn't working to get into the building. We buzzed in and the concierge said in an immensely rude tone, "can I help you" to which we said very politely "we aren't able to get into the building" to which she respond "okayyy... do you have a room here or what". As if we were trying to break into the building or something. Then we opted to grab something from the mini bar which is in the lobby because of Covid. The same concierge who was on her phone couldn't be bothered, we told her what we wanted and she handed it over, not a word or anything, not so much as an "enjoy your evening". Later we decided we wanted a snack so we called down to see if there was room service. The response: "no". Literally, that was it not "no sir, unfortunately we don't but there are a number of places you can order from in the area." That was our last interaction with the staff except to check out. My fiance and I worried what we would say if they asked if we enjoyed our stay. But OF COURSE, they didn't.

I seldom write bad reviews, but I was very taken aback by the lack of service and rudeness of some of the staff. It was like we were an inconvenience or invisible. I have had better service at AirBnbs. Again, particularly disappointing bc the room was expensive, the tub was broken, and the hotel while well decorated is not particularly luxurious or awe-inspiring. We were paying for what we thought was Kimpton Service. I know it's COVID, but pleasantries and hospitality are still essential. I will say the property was extremely clean and quiet, we appreciated that. But still, not 4-star quality.

Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed 28 April 2021 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the Kimpton Gray this weekend. I choose this location because I had to take the NCLEX-RN, which was a 3 minute walk away from the hotel. From the time I checked in until check out the staff was phenomenal. They placed me in a location of the hotel without any distractions, so I could rest and study. The rooms were very clean, stylish, and comfortable. The staff were so encouraging about me taking my exam, because I was a nervous wreck. They provided complementary wine as well! Thanks so much!!!!!! And I passed the NCLEX!!!!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank JNikRN21
Reviewed 27 April 2021 via mobile

We absolutely loved our stay at the Kimpton Gray Hotel! The front desk staff was always helpful and kind. The room was very clean and comfortable. Honestly one of the best beds we have ever slept in. The hot water in the bathroom is fantastic. The location is close to all the fun Chicago attractions, and we felt incredibly safe during our stay as well. 100% recommend this place for your Chicago adventure!

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2021 via mobile

I'm writing this review as a means of saying thank you to the entire staff here that made me feel special and incredibly welcomed here at the Gray hotel.
I had a rough week and decided I needed a treat so I requested an upgrade and they were kind enough to reserve a beautiful junior suite with a large soaking tub so I could indulge in several long baths for my brief stay.
If you can book a suite it's an extraordinary experience and the bath is charming and extremely vintage looking so you feel like you're walking into a magical world that's zen and calming for your spirit.
Bobby always has a kind smile for me and I was even given a complimentary bottled cocktail that the staff has created and bottled to raise money for leukemia research.

The Gray hotel is a historic landmark and the ambiance here is both beautiful and comforting and the staff makes sure you feel special from your arrival to your departure.

I was extremely happy that I finally had a chance to dine at Boleo because during my past few stays their restaurant had limited hours and times. This time I checked into the Gray on Friday so luckily I could sit down to enjoy a delicious dinner of tapas and great service without needing advanced reservations or a dress code.

My stay left me feeling completely uplifted and restored and if you're an illinois resident definitely take advantage of special discounts offered for Kimpton members and enjoy a mini vacation in the city!

Trip type: Travelled solo