Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$79
FindHotelUS$79
TravelocityUS$79
Orbitz.comUS$79
CheapTicketsUS$79
TripadvisorUS$79
All reviews fire pit outdoor pool coin laundry would definitely stay here again stayed one night clean rooms close to downtown
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 December 2020

This was my second visit to this motel and considering my first visit was good I thought I would give it another try. When we arrived and got our room, the first thing I noticed is that I had red stains all over my sheets and had to request new bedding. This was the first sign that something was wrong with this motel. Later that night when my son and I went to leave the room to go downtown, I noticed that a hunter pulled up with a deer carcass hanging off the back of his truck dripping blood right outside my door. Now, I am from Wisconsin and I am more than aware that it is hunting season but I did not expect to have to deal with the site while on my weekend vacation away from home. I contacted the front desk to request a new room and lady at the front desk was extremely rude to me and told me that the hunters come here every year and this was something that I would just have to deal with while staying at this motel. I was so distraught because I was a paying customer too yet my situation was not being handled properly. Not only was she not willing to give me a different room, she gave me dirty looks, had a bad attitude and told me I could just get my refund and leave if I didn’t like it. On top of all this she was not wearing a mask during this time and neither were any of the hunters even though everyone was required to wear them. So much for this Covid epidemic and following the states instructions for everyone’s safety. My son and I ended up leaving the motel at 8 PM at night to drive two hours back to Madison,Wisconsin that night. Moral of the story, if you don’t mind horrible customer service, a dirty room, and aren’t afraid of contracting Covid, this may be the place for you to save a few dollars. However, if you’re like me and expect a clean room and good customer service (even if you’re not a hunter) this is NOT the place for you. I will NEVER book again.

Date of stay: December 2020
2  Thank C3001MAkatyc
Ramona Vincent, Owner at Grant Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2020

Thank you for your very candid review of your experience at Grant Hills Motel. I certainly want to apologize for the situation that occurred and would welcome the opportunity for you to contact me by phone if you would like to further discuss. The manager at Grant Hills will happily give you my contact information. I realize that you didn't stay and that we refunded your money; however it appears that things could have been handled quite differently.

Deer hunting season in Jo Daviess County occurs every year over weekends in November, December and even January. We do not make it a practice to forewarn our guests that deer hunters stay with us and therefore they may see a slain deer. I agree that this would not be a pleasant sight and I apologize that you and your son had to bear witness to this.

Just a side note, the "red stains" that you saw on your linens were actually from rust. We do ask Housekeeping to discard stained linens and terry rather than keeping them in service. That will be a good training topic during our next staff meeting.

Masks are required in the office for our associates as well as our guests; however we do not require them to wear them outside. It sounds as if protocol wasn't being followed and our motel manager has indeed reinforced this policy with our staff.

We do pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service as well as clean and well maintained rooms. It sounds that our customer service was indeed lacking when you stayed with us. Once again, I will not try to make excuses - but want to say that I am very sorry for your experience and appreciate the time that you took to write this review.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Reviewed 12 October 2020

The room was spotlessly clean and staff was exceptionally pleasant. For those who want a budget friendly place to stay and want a very solid experience, this place is for you. Refrigerator and microwave in the room added to the convenience.

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 10 September 2020

Stayed for a night due to a last-minute decision to drive out to the area for some hiking in county nature preserves. Friendly service, clean and spacious room, easy check-in/out. Grounds are pleasant with a large fire pit to sit around, a couple of covered picnic tables and plenty of green space to enjoy and for kids to play. Close to anything we wanted to visit or explore. Right next to a park with beautiful walking paths.

Date of stay: September 2020
Ramona Vincent, Owner at Grant Hills Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2020

Thanks so much for your kind words. We are very happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. We hope you will consider us once again if ever traveling back to the Galena area. Thank you for spending your night(s) with us!

Reviewed 29 July 2020

We stayed last Saturday they have down a wonderful job keeping up an old motel everything looks so clean and fresh and there many extras others don’t have like a kitchen. We had a problem with the shower it was fixed very quickly and was given great attention. Would highly recommend staying here

Date of stay: July 2020
Reviewed 12 July 2020 via mobile

Stayed one night. Very friendly. Clean (and I’m picky). We stayed in the Grant room - some unique touches. Individual porch chairs,
Grills, picnic tables, fire pit, nice outdoor pool. They even have S’more packs (for purchase). Retro motel that has been well cared for. We will stay again.

Date of stay: July 2020