“Very Disappointed at Abbeys”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Abbey's High Street Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2016

My husband made a reservation for our 45th anniversary weekend at Abbey's based on the wonderful reviews. In the interest of getting to the point, we found the first night very unsatisfactory. The bed groaned every time one of us moved. It was a cold night and every time the heat came on it roared and blew directly in my face as I lay in the bed. The towels were old, unmatched and scratchy. The bathroom was down two stairs from the bedroom, was from the 60's era which was unattractive but functional but there were no amenities and no Kleenex. The breakfast was not as good as you would get at Country Inn or another much less costly motel. they served fruit cocktail over a very thin slice of cantaloupe and some store bought refrigerated cinnamon roll dough which wasn't even cooked through. Even the coffee was weak and there was no cream, only low fat milk. As a result of our bad night and the fact that we know what kind of service we would normally expect at a good b&b we did not want to spend another night. When I expressed this to Tom, he said that he would not refund our prepayment and never offered any compensation. He said that we kept him from renting the room though he clearly had other room vacancies.
I will say that when we arrived Tom was very friendly and the house was indeed very nicely restored. My husband sometimes has sleep issues which he expressed to Tom at the time of reserving. Tom recommended the carriage house because it has an additional day bed on a small enclosed porch. When the main bed made noise every time either of us moved, he went to try to sleep on this day bed. He discovered it was a 4 or 5 inch thick mattress resting on a piece of 1/2 inch plywood that he could feel whenever he turned over. A truly disappointing experience, and we were relieved to check out the first morning after breakfast even though we lost our money.

Room Tip: Do not take the carriage house
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2016

Two friends and I spent last weekend in Galena. We stayed in the carriage house at this wonderful inn. It was quiet and the room was delightful only missing having a coffee maker so I could have my caffeine a little earlier than 8am. The gardens were lovely. Pictures don't do it justice. You can view the city from the gazebo where we drank our wine the first night. Both breakfasts, that were served in Tom's lovely diningroom, were delicious and set us up for our day beautifully. We went to Galena to experience and little heaven, and we did at Abbey's High Street B&B. Thanks Tom!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2016 via mobile

We came into town on short notice and looked for a B&B at the last minute. We called Abbey's and Tom was very kind, gracious and accommodating even on such short notice. We arrived about a half hour after we called and he had the room and welcome all ready to go. He was very friendly and warm the entire time and left no details out. We got the Grant Room and it was so beautiful! A cozy fireplace to warm the room, large and comfortable canopy bed and a large hot tub! The view of Galena at night from the room was spectacular! In the morning we came downstairs to fresh coffee waiting for us while we waited for breakfast to finish. We were welcomed into a lovely dining room and had an absolutely delicious breakfast made by Tom, omelet, corn beef hash, fruit and cottage cheese and two homemade cinnamon rolls made by his wife Kathleen, who, unfortunately, we weren't able to meet this time around... hopefully next time! We chatted with Tom a great deal during breakfast and after, then said our goodbyes and, reluctantly, left. I can't wait to come and stay there again in summer when the gardens will be in full bloom! A wonderful experience, quiet, cozy and a gorgeous Victorian home with great innkeepers!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah K
Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

Tom was very accommodating at the last minute. Our original plan did not work out and he came to the rescue. Great service,hospitality,food and experience. The home is in a great location for views of the town and accessibility to downtown without having to drive. Have entertained the thought of having my own B&B in Galena and this is exactly the way I would run one if I ever did decide to do such. Would recommend this B&B to anyone who is looking to stay in Galena. Quality,location,great service, I can't say enough. Thank you Tom.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Casey R
Reviewed 22 November 2015

This B & B is clean, comforting and inviting and the breakfasts were awesome...I would recommend it to everyone. The view is beautiful from the front porch and easy access to downtown, on foot or by car. Will definitely be going back. The host (Tom) was fun, not hovering and gives you space but there if you need him. The only thing I would add to this place is kleenex...not a box to be seen anywhere and in the cool months a necessity...not a negative, just a suggestion.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends