“Great for a diner”

Mel's Diner & Ice Cream Parlor
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 20 December 2011

The service for good. My friend and I just stopped in for a snack, so we got a basket of fries. It took a little longer that we'd thought it would, but we were in no hurry at all. The atmosphere was definitely laid back and comfortable and the waiters were friendly and laid back as well. I loved what a casual place it was. I've been there before with friends and we have always gotten great service and food. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone of any age.

1  Thank Savanna S

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I wish I could give his iconic local diner a thumbs up, but as a Geneva resident myself, we avoid this place with one exception. The food is mediocre, the inside seating is close to the kitchen so you'll smell like eggs when you leave. I understand, it's a diner, so that's to be expected. For a blue collar worker heading to the mill, it's ideal. For someone dressed for work, its a dealbreaker. The food is buttery and traditional, with nothing that strays from the norm.

Now, the one time that I might eat here, and this is unlikely, is for the outdoor metal green picnic tables in the summer. It's on busy State Street, so you'll sort of feel like you're eating on the "main drag", but if you catch it early, and traffic is less (like at 0700), and you sit on the picnic table and are served basic ham and eggs and OJ from a nice waitress, you'll find the strength of Mel's.

1  Thank Smythe77654
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Mel's simply beckons you for a mid-afternoon break on a gorgeous day in Geneva. Their ice cream is all hand made with the best ingredients. I've never tasted Cookie Dough ice cream that was any richer or better than Mel's. One scoop is just fine, but eat it slowly because you'll surely miss it when it's over. The spouse had a huge caramel apple on a stick, pre-sliced to make it easier to handle. Fantastic! And to be able to sit outside, on a crisp, sunny fall day and people watch is just too much fun!

1  Thank mshbnyehud
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Wife and I were out driving around early one weekend morning. Saw Mel's by the side of the road and decided to give the place a try instead of looking for the arches.

Going inside, we found the place pretty crowded. A lot of the diners looked like townies, which is a good sign because it means that the place hadn't earned a reputation for making people sick. The crowd was mainly older, which was good because it means the food is easy to digest.

Wife ordered an omelet and I ordered french toast with a side of bacon. Absolutely no complaints about the food. Both dishes were served promptly and very hot. The coffee was very good with our cups never being less than half full before the server refilled them.

Staff was very friendly and attentive. Bathrooms and other areas appeared very clean and tidy. Seating is a little cramped but not a show stopper.

This is a very nice place to eat.

1  Thank SeamusDad
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Geneva is filled with little diners and restaurants with character and Mel's is one of many. You can get outstanding breakfasts to decent lunches in an older style, stand alone building. Parking is tight in the lot, so you may have to park on a street closeby. It's a fun place to go and it takes you back to the old time diners that used to dot America. Prices are reasonable and the service and food are good.

1  Thank bohste