“A truly unforgettable honeymoon!”

Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Veligandu
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

I write very few reviews, but feel that our holiday experience warrants it for Veligandu.
I'll keep it concise and to the point, being that my wife and I honestly can not fault the place. Fantastic setting and location, incredible food and the most courteous and friendly staff we've ever encountered.
Such a peaceful and tranquil island, perfect for a honeymoon.
We stayed in Jacuzzi water villa 152, which has to be one of the best on the island, being right at the end of the jetty with unobstructed views of the ocean and sunset. It simply blew us away!
I could write pages and pages but even then I couldn't do Veligandu justice. Suffice to say that if you get the chance to visit then I think you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere better. Pure bliss.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank TonyF1980
Write a ReviewReviews (2,791)

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Our stay at the Veligandu resort was the best holiday we have ever been on.

We booked with Simply Maldives, after they recommended this island to me and I cannot thank them enough for their help and advice.

The resort really does cater for your needs and listens to the requests of its customers.
Veligandu offers everything one would need; We were on an all inclusive plus package and stayed in a jacuzzi water villa.

The rooms were spacious, clean and had all the amenities one would require including a large screen flat TV, iPod dock, DVD player and a large superking bed!.
The best part of the room however was the view to an unbroken view of clear blue water for miles to see.

If coming to this resort then a jacuzzi water villa is very much recommended.

The food at the Veligandu was much better than I had expected with a large selection of starters, mains and desserts.

They also had two "hot" stations where food is prepared straight of the gas/grill for you.
The service from the staff was off the highest quality and all waiters and chefs would always greet you with a smile.

The resort has two restaurants; one is included in the all inclusive plus package and the other you had to book and pay for.

We only ever went to the buffet restaurant included in our package as we were happy with the selection and quality of the food.

Veligandu has a large bar and relaxing area and has all the major drinks anyone could want.
Our package included free drinks but this was limited to certain brands and one specific cocktail which would change on a daily basis.
The drinks were unlimited but after eating so much food we would find it hard to make the most use of this.

Every evening some form of entertainment would be provided in the bar but as it was a smaller island this was usually only for an hour.
The entertainment was not bad and we particularly enjoyed the nights where we had a slideshow of the local marine life and the music from the local maldivian people.

The facilities of the resort included a spa, pool, badminton courts, games room and a gym.
Much of this we didn't use as we spent most of our time on a sunbed in our villa but we did make use of the spa.

Again the staff were great in the spa and the massages both my wife and I received were as good as ones we had received in other countries.
The pool looked amazing and regularly had people in and around it but as we were looking to spend some relaxing quiet time with each other we never ventured in.
The pool was however at the end of the island and right next to the bar, due to the shape of the island the pool and bar allowed you to experience sand and sea views from all around it.

Our package also included a snorkelling lesson, windsurfing lesson, sunset dolphin cruise and a trip to one of the other islands.

Due to the lack of wind we couldn't do the wind surfing lesson but my wife found the snorkelling lesson useful.

The dolphin cruise was amazing and we had never seen so many dolphins together; they were diving out of the water and swimming right next to the boat. From the two or three dolphin cruises I have been on this was the best - it could however have been pure luck.
With our free trip to another island we spent half a day on the Kurumathi island; although this island was nice and had great marine life we felt this island was too large and made us appreciate the Veligandu that much more.

All in all I would recommend the Veligandu resort.
It is a smaller island so is very tranquil and peaceful than others but not too small that you feel totally alone.

All staff and amenities are first class and the food is excellent.

All of this does however come at a cost and in relation to other islands we looked at when booking the cost is reasonable.

If I can afford it again then I would love to go back and spend another week or so in pure paradise.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank samH288
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Arrived at resort by sea plane, fantastic location, has its own reef with large range of beautiful fish. Need to take swim shoes as sand/ shingle can be a little harsh on feet when swimming. I was a beginner at snorkelling but reef good for the amateur or the experienced snorkeller/deep sea diver.
Restaurant was truely amazing, fantastitic choice and presentation, just been voted in the top 15 best restaurants in the world and it was evident.could eat inside or out over looking sea, service was great.
Everywhere spotless, staff courteous and helpful.
Water villa spacious all needs catered for with lovely views over the sea, all villas
Spa wide range of quality treatments at reasonable prices
Quiet resort, but really couldn't fault any aspect.

Brilliant

Room Tip: West side has sun in the afternoon , good sunsets East side sun in the mornings We were in room 14...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank corrine t
Reviewed 28 January 2013

5 stars all the way! Lovely, good-sized island with kind staff, good food and pampering relaxed atmosphere. Sun-set tour was a sheer bliss! If Veligandu is on your list, stop hesitating, you won't regret a single moment.

Room Tip: JWW was a pure delight! I would go for Beach Villa next time, it's cheaper and there is less noi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank CuliTraveller
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Great Island and a wow location.... with a romantic fglow. We spent a week at Veligandu for our honeymoon and had a jacuzzi water villa with a WOW view. The room itself was excellent and I do mean excellent.

The restaurant however was not particularly great for vegeterian main meals - unless your a pasta addict! There is only so much pasta you can eat for lunch and dinner. The hotel is targeted for europeon tourists and lovers of seafood. There is plentiful fruit which looks great but I have to say it didnt taste as sweet as I expected and at times I thought it was tasteless - maybe my tastebuds have been spoilt from travelling around the world.

The island is a relaxing escape and the spa is magnificent. If you love water then you'll be in paradise - you can swim all day long and there is plenty of sun. However remember to bring some water reef shoes or the coral will hurt your bare feet. You can walk out of your villa for 300m and its only waist height so if your not the strongest of swimmers... don't worry.

We spent NYE 2012/13 on the island and I have to say I was dissapointed given the premium they had charged - the food was targeted for non-veg and you guessed it again - there was more PASTA! also I'd have expected some fireworks but unfortunately there was none. Come on Veligandu - this island is wow, the accomodation is wow, the staff are attentive but the food is letting you down and sort out the entertainment - we're not wanting to spend every night in our room.

Anyways, not one to harp on... 3 words to some up Veligandu

W - Wicked
O - Over Indulgence
W - Well Done for a excellent attempt on Paradise

Room Tip: Do not choose room 201, 202 - they are probably the worst rooms on the island. Any of the jacuzzi wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IndianCricketFAN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Veligandu
36 km away
39.4 km away
W Maldives
W Maldives
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island

Been to Veligandu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!