“What has happened to this place!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
DI Piero's Ristorante
Ranked #24 of 93 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 2 July 2017

So, I grew up in the Chicagoland area and still have family in the northwest suburbs. Di Piero's has always been one of those must have dinner spots whenever I'm in town visiting. All totaled, I have probably eaten here a couple of dozen times over the past five years. The last two times I have had dinner here, it was a very dissapointing experience. I thought when I was here in April it might have been a fluke that the food was mediocre and the service was poor, but it happened again. I ate dinner here with my family recently and what a bummer. They no longer will leave olive oil on the table for bread. One of the servers put some on a plate and when we asked if he would leave the bottle, he said he wasn't allowed. Really (this was the first red flag)! We ordered the Bruschetta for an appetizer and it was fine, but nothing special. We ordered Chicken Parmesan, Gnocchi, Saltimbocca, and fish for dinner and the results were not good in some cases. The Chicken Parmesan was tough and I felt like my jaw had one heck of a workout after I was done (second red flag). The Gnocchis were good, but they cut way back on the portion they typically serve (third red flag). The Saltimbocca was good according to my sister and she didn't have any complaints. According to my brother-in-law the fish was okay, but a little on the bland side. The service was not good! It seemed like the waitress was really struggling. She rarely showed up at the table without us having to wave her down. We had to wait a good 25 minutes before she provided us with menus and again, this was only after we asked for them. She let our glasses of wine run dry a couple of times. One time, I ordered a glass of wine and waited 15 minutes before she showed up at the table empty handed and asked me if I wanted more wine (really, you didn't get it the first time?!). This was the fourth red flag. I don't know whether it's just a coincidence or not, but they expanded the restaurant not too long ago and ever since then it seems like the quality of food and service have gone down hill. It also seems like they are starting to cut corners (e.g. no olive oil on the table and smaller portions) which is never a good sign. I don't think we will be back the next time I'm in town. That's too bad since I used to really enjoy Di Peiro's.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Wow.......so we've driven by Di Piero's a thousand times (maybe more) and have never gone in. Well that all ended Friday night when our next door neighbors invited us to join them at Di Piero's. (They are regulars.) OK........so we made a big mistake by not trying it sooner. Better late than never. Dinners are good and plentiful -- soup or salad included -- and presented nicely. Service was also good. The restaurant is a bit small and tight -- but try it -- because you could be making the same mistake that we did. Hey.......trust me on this -- try it !!! ENJOY !!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

I stopped here with a friend for dinner. This is a quaint little locally owned Italian restaurant. We both had their lake perch pasta and were somewhat disappointed as the perch tasted frozen and was not all that good. Good service. Overall I think that DI Piero's is a bit pricey for the quality and quantity of food.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

If you want to feel like you are stepping back to the 1940's for a night out, this is your place. Family run, Di Piero's is heavy on atmospherics because the restaurant has been there forever. Sitting at the bar makes you feels as if Humphrey Bogart or Frank Sinatra could walk through the door at any minute. A classic Italian menu delivers best quality steak, seafood, pasta and pizza all made with care and cooked to perfection. For appetizers the stuffed artichoke and tuna carpaccio cannot be be beat. Di Piero's hands down has the best veal piccata I have ever had. The halibut, lake perch and grouper milanaese are all amazingly fresh and tasty. Homemade lobster ravioli is amazing. If you love butter and lots of garlic, this will be your new go-to. Extremely reasonable wine list, mostly Italian (of course).

Reviewed 15 January 2017

We had a party of nine. They made us wait 40 minutes when we had a reservation. There is limited seating in the restaurant. Sure they offered to seat us at two separate tables, but that defeats the purpose of us having dinner as a family.

They offered some free drinks to a couple who had finished eating 20 minutes earlier in order to free up room for us. We were not offered anything for our inconvenience.

Now let's move on to the service. They mixed up several of our orders. They delivered my meal five minutes later than the rest of the group and only after we asked. I ordered spaghetti and meatballs which costs over $18 and it was not even very good. This will be the last time I visit this restaurant.

1  Thank Greg N