“I am so disappointed since this has been a go to with my friends and family for over 18 years”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
DI Piero's Ristorante
Ranked #33 of 87 Restaurants in Lake Zurich
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Reviewed 4 July 2017

I have been going to DiPiero's for over 18 years when people would come in town, for special occasions and this year for the pizza delivery. On May 7, I went after a special event with 3 others. They put us in the bar at a table for 2 though there were 4 for dinner. That I just saw as we would be cozy, but when there was no room for the plates, the waiter was hard to hold there long enough that I could put the other things on my plate so there was room. No big deal. The food was just average that night, but anyone can have an off night (it was usually great). We had appetizers, wine, full meals. We told them it was a special occasion. (I expect that means he should know we are not looking to throw food down fast and leave fast. If they were closing shortly, that was the time to tell us. He rushed us through dinner, so I did not finish my dinner or wine and he said I hope you weren't planning on ordering desert, the kitchen is closing. They then would not let us out the front door but made us walk out the back since they locked the front door. It was rude, but I wrote it off as just a bad night. My friend who does a lot of entertaining and always had loved that restaurant and who I ordered pizza with from there a few times was so mad, I assured him I would call and speak to them. The next week, I worked very late and was hungry. I called to order a pizza and asked if it was too late for delivery. They said no, its fine if I'm ordering now That was at 8:00 or 8:30. They said it would be here in 45 minutes. By 9:30, no pizza. By 9:45, no pizza. I tried to call to see if they were delayed and only got a recording. By 10:30, I figured it wasn't coming, but no-one bothered to call. I called the next day and the girl answering said, oh, we were wondering why that pizza was still here on the counter. I asked to speak with the owner (several calls) (since this was two weeks in a row), the owner was never available, then out of town and they assured me he would call when he returned from the Ozarks. She then passed me on to a manager, who said what do I want (pretty rudely), I said nothing, except to speak with the owner because I felt as a business owner, he might want to know what was happening to his longstanding business, I was not the only customer who had been coming for awhile and used to love the place but did not like being treated like this My friend had said they never delivered food to a house for a wake as was arranged. I did not know that situation personally though.I said I would rather speak with the owner so he could know and then he could talk with his employees to figure how to fix it in the future He offered a pizza but I really don't generally eat pizza unless it is last minute (which now I know not to order from Dipiero's since I can't depend on it showing up) and I only go out on special occasions, so I no longer had need for a pizza or meal for 1. I did ask to speak to the owner repeatedly though and the manager said he would not pass that on, and I could go write whatever #$%^...review I want and gave me the name of the sites. He said he didn't care if I wrote the review, that they don't need my business or anyone else's for that matter...I tried again twice to reach the owner, I was hoping to hear that they had worked it out as I was hoping to bring someone there but not if things were still the same. But still, no calls back...so, here I am, and I hope he will see the review here, as his employees don't seem to be getting the message to him OR he really could care less about his regular, longstanding customers.....

1  Thank jds572017

Reviewed 2 July 2017

So, I grew up in the Chicagoland area and still have family in the northwest suburbs. Di Piero's has always been one of those must have dinner spots whenever I'm in town visiting. All totaled, I have probably eaten here a couple of dozen times over the past five years. The last two times I have had dinner here, it was a very dissapointing experience. I thought when I was here in April it might have been a fluke that the food was mediocre and the service was poor, but it happened again. I ate dinner here with my family recently and what a bummer. They no longer will leave olive oil on the table for bread. One of the servers put some on a plate and when we asked if he would leave the bottle, he said he wasn't allowed. Really (this was the first red flag)! We ordered the Bruschetta for an appetizer and it was fine, but nothing special. We ordered Chicken Parmesan, Gnocchi, Saltimbocca, and fish for dinner and the results were not good in some cases. The Chicken Parmesan was tough and I felt like my jaw had one heck of a workout after I was done (second red flag). The Gnocchis were good, but they cut way back on the portion they typically serve (third red flag). The Saltimbocca was good according to my sister and she didn't have any complaints. According to my brother-in-law the fish was okay, but a little on the bland side. The service was not good! It seemed like the waitress was really struggling. She rarely showed up at the table without us having to wave her down. We had to wait a good 25 minutes before she provided us with menus and again, this was only after we asked for them. She let our glasses of wine run dry a couple of times. One time, I ordered a glass of wine and waited 15 minutes before she showed up at the table empty handed and asked me if I wanted more wine (really, you didn't get it the first time?!). This was the fourth red flag. I don't know whether it's just a coincidence or not, but they expanded the restaurant not too long ago and ever since then it seems like the quality of food and service have gone down hill. It also seems like they are starting to cut corners (e.g. no olive oil on the table and smaller portions) which is never a good sign. I don't think we will be back the next time I'm in town. That's too bad since I used to really enjoy Di Peiro's.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Wow.......so we've driven by Di Piero's a thousand times (maybe more) and have never gone in. Well that all ended Friday night when our next door neighbors invited us to join them at Di Piero's. (They are regulars.) OK........so we made a big mistake by not trying it sooner. Better late than never. Dinners are good and plentiful -- soup or salad included -- and presented nicely. Service was also good. The restaurant is a bit small and tight -- but try it -- because you could be making the same mistake that we did. Hey.......trust me on this -- try it !!! ENJOY !!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

I stopped here with a friend for dinner. This is a quaint little locally owned Italian restaurant. We both had their lake perch pasta and were somewhat disappointed as the perch tasted frozen and was not all that good. Good service. Overall I think that DI Piero's is a bit pricey for the quality and quantity of food.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

If you want to feel like you are stepping back to the 1940's for a night out, this is your place. Family run, Di Piero's is heavy on atmospherics because the restaurant has been there forever. Sitting at the bar makes you feels as if Humphrey Bogart or Frank Sinatra could walk through the door at any minute. A classic Italian menu delivers best quality steak, seafood, pasta and pizza all made with care and cooked to perfection. For appetizers the stuffed artichoke and tuna carpaccio cannot be be beat. Di Piero's hands down has the best veal piccata I have ever had. The halibut, lake perch and grouper milanaese are all amazingly fresh and tasty. Homemade lobster ravioli is amazing. If you love butter and lots of garlic, this will be your new go-to. Extremely reasonable wine list, mostly Italian (of course).