“Favorite Fried Rice & Sushi”

Hanakawa Japanese Steak & Sushi
Ranked #36 of 98 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Hanakawa is my go-to place when I want Japanese food. I live nearby so I will often get sushi and fried rice for pickup if I don't want to go out for a nice dinner... and it's one of my absolute favorite meals. If I could live off of their fried rice, I probably would (put the yum yum sauce on the fried rice. I know it's weird but just trust me). The owners are very kind and attentive, they will often stop by themselves when I dine in-store and ask how the food is or if there is anything else they can do for us. Would HIGHLY recommend to anyone!

Reviewed 30 June 2017

It might have been because my Sailor was in his dress whites from graduating basic training, but from the time we came in (lunch) until we left, we were served attentively and graciously! The food was very good and our hibachi chef was very friendly and capable. (He gave my younger teen advance notice to video the flames!) I would highly recommend for those looking to treat their graduates on liberty for the day, or any special occasion.

1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 23 June 2017

Went to Hanakawa for dinner with are family. Our chief was Peter he was great at entertaining an cooking the meal. We had filets with combos. Everything was great except for the air was not working properly. It was very hot. Above average for food an chief, but rest was average or just below. The floors were sticky. Had reservations an they were on time.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Under new management. Over charged but food tasted good. We like the old owners better. The new owners have too many hidden charges that they add on to your bill at the end.

Reviewed 20 May 2017 via mobile

Made reservations, huge lines when we came in...the people who had reservations 1/2 half hour prior to us were still standing ....after 30 mins into our wait...remind you we had reservations...a large group came in with no reservations was seated prior to us...stating they had a reservation at the quarter hour...this was a bold lie as we looked at their reservation list in order to turn over tables they are done on a half-hour. We had children in our group...a fifteen min wait turned into over an hour. The air quality is awful, the smoke is not ventilated properly.

When we finally got a table we looked around and the 7:30 reservation still was NOT served. BUT the people that walked in without a reservation were eating already....while food might be awesome the service is subpar.

The manager did nothing but smile and agree that it was an issue...they had about 7 staff members standing around...people wanted to pay their bill, the manager just stood there watching this chaos roll-out.

We were offer the first round of drinks on the house...we are tea people not big drinkers and we had children...it would have been better to have appetizers waiting at the table...it was not only bed time for the kids. by now, my bed time was approach as I was visiting from out of town with a time difference.

We walked out and went to their competition down the street Tsukasa where we were treat like a true welcomed customer. The air was much clearer and circulated...this is a plus for those that have asthma.

Our bill was huge as we now were very hungry ... big loss for this libertyville restaurant, which were heard was under new management, needs some lessons and process improvements.

'Big mistake...big!'