“Best brisket I've ever eaten”
Review of Frosty Mug

Frosty Mug
Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

I had the brisket and it was delicious! I've eaten my fair share of bbq and brisket and this was amazing brisket! The beans however were not what I would label as barbecued beans but they too were very good. We were passing through and it was easy to tell that the bar was a local favorite.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

Our first time going with our son. We were not sure if it was okay to bring kids there since it is known to be a bar. We were told that it is a full restaurant and they happily allow families to eat in. We knew that the food was going to be good but our service was outstanding. Our server checked on us regularly and other staff came to our table to say hi. They made us feel very comfortable during our visit.

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Had delicious meal at a “ local” place. Good service,prices and food was superb. Lots of food, great smoked meats, good to fastsarvive, waiter most helpful. Go and enjoy.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Following our Thanksgiving family visits to Missouri and Nebraska, I’d chosen Mount Vernon Illinois for our overnight stop on our trek home to East Tennessee. It was dinner time and I'd heard about a local place that I thought would be fun to try. The Frosty Mug was a little bit of a drive from our hotel, but after all this is a local neighborhood joint…and it isn’t aimed at passing motorists blowing along on the expressway.

I read about a potential customer’s frustration as they circled the building at night after not being able to locate the entrance on the street side. They never did figure out how to get in and they thought that the place looked ‘sketchy’ in any case… It was hard to find the entrance! We circled the building and finally determined that the entrance was at the far end of a semi-dark patio with picnic tables in the back of the building…

The inside dining area of the Frosty Mug Bar and Grill was fairly busy, especially for the Sunday night after Thanksgiving. It was no surprise that most of the customers were regulars! There were tables in the bar area as well. The bar is separated from the main dining area by a half wall. One curiosity at the Frosty Mug is the drive-up packaged liquor sales. They actually prepackage your favorite drinks for you for a party or to just take home to enjoy in the peace and quiet of your own home…or hotel room.

On this occasion, we skipped the appetizers. However, for your information the 'usual' appetizers included jalapeno poppers, a variety of chicken wings, pickle chips as well as some BBQ Nachos. Unusual items for a neighborhood bar and grill included a shrimp cocktail, mini tacos, pork rinds, and spinach artichoke Rangoon. Prices ranged from $4.00 to $9.50 although you could opt for larger baskets of wings.

The Frosty Mug has a special going on with Bloody Marys' for only $3.00 each! The accompanying cheese and olives were almost a meal in themselves. There is a drink special every day at the Frosty Mug. How about a 34 oz. mug of domestic beer on Mondays for $3.00!

I ordered something that I had seen on a menu for over 20 years… It was what they call a “Horseshoe”. It included 2 hamburger patties served open-faced on a thick slice of toast, then covered with French fries with a cheddar cheese sauce over the top. I added bacon for a little extra flavor. ($8.75) While it was good…the cheese sauce lacked the “pop” that I remembered from my first ‘shoe’ experience.

My wife opted for a half-pound cheeseburger with potato chips. ($7.25) “Sadly”, she couldn’t finish it and I had to come to the rescue! It was a very nice cheeseburger…

Other sandwiches included pork tenderloin (breaded and fried or smoked), BBQ brisket, bologna or pulled pork and Italian beef. The Horseshoe that I ate was the most expense sandwich on the menu. A number of Baskets items and entrees are also available.

Service was friendly and 'down home' and the owner came around checking on his clientele. We liked the Frosty Mug and we’ll probably eat here again when we stopover in Mount Vernon. Next time I’m having the fried pork tenderloin!

Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

One of our favorite restaurants. The service is good. Food is always consistently good. Bbq, stuffed shrimp, ribeye and catfish are some of the things we order regularly.
Bbq nachos are excellent as well. Rotating selection of draft beers and a full bar. Live music on most Friday nights