“Undercover Gem”
Review of Ararat

Ranked #16 of 109 Restaurants in Mundelein
Cuisines: Armenian
Reviewed 2 October 2015

The outside wasn't all that inviting and unless I had my Verizon rewards coupon to burn we may not have gone in but we're glad we did. The interior is small with basic ethnic Armenian-Georgian accents with a Russian program playing on TV for extra atmosphere.

The menu featured all kinds of kabobs with some very interesting appetizers. We tried the avocado salad which was great; it had tomatoes, onion, cilantro with lemon juice to give it a ceviche-like flavor. The one soup we tried was Shurpa, a broth based soup with lab and chick peas, which was satisfying but simple in flavor. They say most of the other soups are more stew-like and we will look forward to trying them.

I had the lamb kebab while the wife had the chicken. For both the meat flavor was outstanding. The waitress (also the owner) let us substitute fried potatoes instead of rice which I appreciated and found was worth it. Sides were a lightly marinated sliced onions and sautéed mushrooms which my wife substituted.

Service was at first just ok as the owner dealt with the other tables by herself. later she spent time with us and we talked a lot about the different dishes and the restaurant, Armenia and the immigrant experience that brought her to America. It made the experience complete and we plan to return for sure.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

Ethnic hangout --- come prepared if you aren't..but a good new experience with unfamiliar food. Staff was helpful, yet I felt out of place.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

There's probably not a lot of Armenian restaurants out in our part of the world, so this place is special for us. It's not very glamorous but the food is outstanding and service first class. Try the hummus and lamb kebabs. I don't believe that they have a liquor license as only non-alcoholic beverages are available. The Armenian coffee will cure what ails 'ya.

Reviewed 3 April 2015

We found this place through a coupon offer service and decided to try it. We always like to discover new places - especially ones that may be hidden gems; local hole-in-the-wall ethnic places. That's what this is. Simple, plain, and to the point - almost diner style. Nice variety on the menu, and everything we ate was good. Small, informal place with minimal staff, but they obviously care and the service was good. Go for the food, and order courses.

Reviewed 12 January 2015

I was having a "Bartholomew & The Oobleck" moment yesterday: I didn't want something different to come down from the sky, but I sure wanted something different to appear on my dinner plate! Dining in the 'burbs can be pretty boring -- there's plenty of Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and even Thai, but very little that is truly different. Rummaging around on Groupon, I got a deal for Ararat. Time & money well spent, it turned out!
Ararat is a very small & intimate place -- easy to miss in its strip mall location. I think it would only seat about 30 people at most. The decor is very ethnic, with pictures of Mt. Ararat, some ceremonial knives, and a small Armenian rug adoring the walls. It is Armenian food, but actually it is a variety of Eastern European dishes -- there are numerous variations on a theme of shish kebab, but also chicken kiev, stuffed peppers, and other interesting dishes. The chef is Ukrainian. I have named the dishes I can remember, because much of the menu was things my husband & I had never heard of. Our helpful young Russian waitress explained any items we had questions about, and also brought a laminated sheet of pictures (yes!) of many of the dishes -- truly, 1 picture is worth 1000 words in this situation. Ararat gets big points for authenticity -- we were in the minority speaking English, and the guests at other tables were speaking Russian or other Eastern European languages.
Everything we ate was outstanding! My lamb kebab was tender & perfectly spiced, as was my husband's chicken kebab. The baklava is more cake-like than the typical gooey Greek or flaky Arab baklava, but goes just as perfectly with a cup of strong Armenian coffee. The service was slow, but that is because they really are cooking your food when it is ordered. This was not a bad thing -- we lingered over every little savory bite, without feeling (as in so many American restaurants) that the staff were counting the minutes until we would leave & make room for the next diners. Without the Groupon thing, our dinner (including tax & tip) would have been about $57 for the two of us, so it was not the cheapest dinner, but worth every penny for the food & the experience that we had.