“Talking about hidden gem...”
Review of Ararat

Ararat
Ranked #14 of 110 Restaurants in Mundelein
Cuisines: Armenian
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

So, this restaurant sits in a plaza anchored by a sausage specialty store. The restaurant is small, but it is as authentic as it gets. Talking about a hidden gem, I think more likely that I don’t know about it. If I was not taken here by our friends that knows the food, I would not had experience how good the food here is. We started out with a small sampler of appetizers. The pickled tomatoes are sooo good. It has the inherent sweetness and sour from the tomatoes, blended with pickling, it is so nice to the pallet. Following was a taste of the khachapury, a pizza like with two fried eggs that blended gorgeously with the cheese on a very crispy dough. Nothing beats that. The lamb soup, chanahi, was very delicious. We ordered the halibut and it was fresh, grilled to perfection. And finally, the beef liver Khabarovsk is to die for. The marination then grilled to perfection of the liver gave a sealed skin that is very tasty, in combination with the liver texture gave it a unique Kabab. Overall, a great restaurant and highly recommended.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

After reading a review on TripAdvisor, I decided to check out Ararat. I only live 2 blocks away in Long Grove, and had never noticed it's existence before. Maybe because it is a small store front restaurant with an equally small sign, that sits far back from the street. We explained it was our first visit, and the waitress was very kind and explained everything to us. Everything her is prepared from scratch which fresh ingredients. So it is not fast food, but the taste of the food is worth the wait! They let us try a sampling of their specialty salads while our food was being prepared. The wife loves lamb and had the Lamb kabob, I had the king shrimp Kabob with fried potatoes. The fried potatoes were a little thicker than potato chips, and excellent! We both loved our meals and the appetizers we tried. My wife took one small piece of the lamb kabob home for our Border Collie. Who knows more about lamb than a Border Collie?
She gave him the taste and he followed her around for the rest of the night (Hey mom are you SURE you only brought 1 piece of that great meat?) So yes this is a good homely place with excellent food as advertised! We will be back!

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Made special efforts to get me some good vegetarian stuff... The food is a mix of middle east, turkish, Armenian cuisines.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Have been driving by here for years, and finally decided to stop in for their lunch special. Tiny little restaurant that looks closed because of the thick curtains on the window. Once inside, we realized the curtains could be closed to block the view of the parking lot, and you could pretend you were not in a strip mall! Only one other table occupied, and the owner waited on us. She was charming, and even the utensils were wrapped in lovely fabric holders. Food tasted cooked from scratch, and everything was delicious. No serious wait- about 15 minutes, and she brought out delicious bread and a couple different salads while we were waiting. try it!

Reviewed 2 April 2017

My husband brought me here for our anniversary. We have lived near this restaurant for many years and have never even thought to try it. It is a hidden in a strip mall next to a Salvation Army, European sausage company, and nail salon. I was nervous to try something this far outside of my comfort zone but I am so glad that I did! I was worried about cuisine mix from Turkey, Russia, Uzbekistan, Armenia, etc. But thankfully the Shish-Kabobs dominate this international menu. The owner and chef helped us to order a smapler platter of International salads as an appetizer. WOW o WOW! Each salad (which was like a tapas) was amazing. Then, we ordered a feta and mozerella filled puff pastry that was a symphony for the mouth. I don't know where this cheeese is from but surely she didn't buy this from the Jewel/Osco. I had the beef kebob and husband had the lamb. Both were so well seasoned and cooked it melted in our mouths. The homemade fried potatoes were also a must have! I had some kind of an iced tea that was made to order each time. It was phenomenal and one I will be raving about for a while. They are open for lunch and have great lunch specials. The owner is happy to recommend, advise, and work with you on things that are not even on the menu. Everything is made in house and fresh! I know you can get kebobs in the close area, but those don't deserve to stand next to these kebobs in the same category. The lunch menu is more economical and worth a try if you are nervous. Do it! Go! Enjoy it! You won't be sorry.