Great Lakes Motel
US$70
US$59
US$85
CandlewoodSuites
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I'd never say there again. You get what you pay for. The room looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70"s. The lighting looked like ceiling lights from an old kitchen. Paint was peeling on the ceiling over the bed. The smoke detector was removed and the wires were hanging. The bed had such a dip in the center of the mattress, it was difficult to sleep. The bathtub drain was rusty and had a shower curtain. There was a huge gap at the bottom of the door large enough for a rodent to come through. Very disappointing experience.

Room Tip: rooms need updating. No place to hang anything in the bathroom. Painting peeling over the bed. The worst lighting in the entire room. No lamps anywhere. bathroom with tub and rusty drain. smoke detector removed and wires left hanging. the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on. At any price would not recommend this place!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kathleen D
Reviewed 18 May 2013

For what it's worth our room was very clean. The beds were super comfortable! It's right down the block from the Navy recruit training command which was awesome because we were here for my sisters graduation. There's a free shuttle to the RTC & getting a cab home was super cheap because it was right there. There's a restaurant right next door & fast food & a gas station right up the block which was really convenient. The bathroom was very clean & the shower was nice, not like other motels where there's no hot water & the water pressure is horrible. I would suggest bringing your own sheets just because it feels more comfortable but that's just my personal opinion. Very roomy & convenient just no mini fridge in my room 105, so request a room with one if needed. But the best thing about this motel was the man working the desk, I assume the owner. When my sisters taxi didn't show up on time despite us calling ahead we went into scramble mode because she had to be back to the RTC within 15 minutes & the man at the desk helped us try & get a taxi then finally we couldn't get one & the man just asked us to meet him in the back & started to open his car. He drove my sister back to the RTC & wouldn't even accept our money it was the nicest thing ever ! Great experience we had here. I would recommend it to everyone !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Sabrina S
Reviewed 23 June 2012

My daughter and i stayed at this place for my sons navy graduation, we reserved it for 2 nights, but got our money back after first night. There were boogers on the walls,GROSS! The bath towels were dirty and no hot water to take a shower. Every step you take in the room you felt like you were falling through the floor. I definitely would not stay there again nor would i recommend this place. Too expensive for this dump!
Owner made the comment that they get threatened every week to be turned in to health dept.

Room Tip: go to red carpet inn!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Emily H
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We went for our son's graduation at the Naval Base. I liked this place a great deal. Quiet, comfortable and well kept. Yes it is an older motel but it has been well taken care of by the family that owns it. It is no frills, but enough to be comfortable. It is inexpensive but not cheap. It is not bookable thru any of the hotel sites, you actually have to call and interact with someone to make a reservation. The family was very helpful and the shuttle to the base for graduation, while rather early was fine. We even got a ride back to the motel. We don't care for the breakfast included places as it is usually cheap, cold and not what we want. Breakfast at the Full Moon restaurant around the corner across the street was fine, plenty of good coffee.( We had a rented car, guess you could walk there, it would be a bit of a hike but everything in Chicago is a hike.) Later we did go to Chicago and stay at a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport so we could easily get to our return flight. It had fancy towels, continental breakfast and all the usual stuff. It also had a booked party with a DJ that went until midnight. The sound reverberated thru the structure like a low rider at a stop light. It cost twice as much and we ended up half as well rested. Judging by the reaction of the 10 month old member of our party, she much preferred the Great Lakes Motel stay to the C0mf0rt Inn we stayed at later. Given that I consider my house a 5 I would give this place a 4.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Pamela W
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed for the Navy graduation and we were in the hotel for 4 nights. This was a mom & pop hotel. The owners are very nice and run a clean and VERY QUITE place. I usually dont sleep well in hotels but this one was the exception. The room was cleaned daily and always had a fresh smell The beds have a perfect feel, not to soft and not to hard.. It is located in a good place and close to everything, Six Flags and tons of shopping. I would recommend the Gurnee Mills Mall and the Steak and Shake eatery. Oh and if you are going for the graduation I would strongly recommend taking the free shuttle that is offered by the motel. The traffic is a mess getting in the base. The driver was very courteous and got us there fast.. I will also suggest that you go as soon as the base opens as it fills up fast and you'll want to get a good seat... Will stay again when my second daughter graduates from the Navy,lol

Room Tip: We had a double queen room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family