“Fourth Visit this week”

Penny's Noodles
Ranked #81 of 144 Restaurants in Oak Park
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

First of all I'm relatively new to Thai food. I think peanuts when I here Thai and I don't particularly like nuts at all. I went to a dinner with friends and between the host's presentation of the food and the actual taste of the food, I immediately became addicted. I'm a foodie. It's what I do. We had the satay chicken with the "peanut" sauce which was incredible! We also had the Pad Thai, Pad Ped and some Vietnamese spring rolls. The various sauces were authentic and tasty with a nice kick to the palette. As I mentioned, I've eaten here four times this week, one of which was today for lunch. I could eat there tomorrow. My only negative was the service could have been better. I did feel a little neglected sitting outside waiting for someone to take my order.

Reviewed 3 February 2016

We showed up on an early Monday night, a rather SNOWY night, so we had plenty of options on seating. Stuck with water and ordered the Red Curry Rice for myself, the wife had Pad Thai and we got a chicken rice thing for the kid. Portions were all large which alluded to a good value. Our check was $26.7 for 3 items, so I'm not sure if the value was that great, but i misplaced the itemized portion. In short, my chicken was fine, almost too done, but the meal was rather DRY. I needed to actually use the soy sauce, which I'd rather not. My wife's pad thai with beef was better, but not by much. The kid seemed to mostly enjoy his meal. Ambiance was nice and folks began pouring in as the night progressed, even with the snow! I'd maybe go back, but only in a pinch. Service was fantastic though! We apologized for the rice everywhere (dining with kids) and when i attempted to tidy up, she said don't worry. We get kids in here all the time! For that reason I WOULD go back!

Reviewed 25 September 2015

This restaurant is just across the street and down a block from the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio. If you are touring Oak Park, it is a convenient place for lunch or an early dinner.

Offers ample seating and the decor is pleasant. However, some of the Asian waitresses do not speak very good English.

They have daily specials. My husband is very partial to their Singapore noodles. I like their vegan Thai spring rolls but they put enough shredded carrots on top to feed the rabbit population of Oak Park...which is quite huge.

Their noodles in a bowl are fine, as are their soups. Like their beef salad. Nice and spicy but often the beef is way tough.

Only had one really bad meal there. Ordered a chicken dish and the chicken was beyond dry. I didn't eat any of it after one bite. My friend was enjoying her meal, so I waited to complain to the manager before I left...something I rarely do. He told me I should have said something to our waitress. I would have if I thought she'd understand me. He did not comp my meal nor my glass of wine. I was not amused!

We occasionally order take-out from them. Usually pretty good. Fast and efficient.
Not the best Thai food but not that bad.

Reviewed 25 August 2015

Nothing really special anymore and the food is just ok. Crab rangoons really greasy. These used to be crisp and fresh, but sadly this is no longer the case. Chicken in the noodle dishes dry and barely recognizable as meat. Their prices have increased which would be ok but the quality has decreased. The main dinning room is loud and when you factor the kid to adult ratio 3:1 it makes for the feeling of eating at a Asian Chucky Cheese or at some food court. Ants all over the floor near the windows. No more free parking lot next door so don't forget to pay the meter. Disappointing all around and not worth the headache.

Reviewed 4 June 2015

It's a simple quick bite to eat type of place. You can grab and go or stay and watch the game on the T.V. I like to order the tofu curry. You can also have a working lunch meeting here in the afternoon as it's pretty quiet.