“PADDLING THE CYPRESS SWAMPS OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS - YES, THEY HAVE THEM HERE!”

White Crane Canoe Rentals & Guide Service
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Ullin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: White Crane Canoe Rentals /Guide Services provides memorable and exciting group outings for private groups, scouting organizations, church, & civic groups, social clubs, company outings and others wanting a beautiful flat water experience through Illinois’s hidden Bayou known as the Lower Cache River, near Ullin Illinois.
Reviewed 14 August 2017

My niece and I took a little detour to do this while on our drive to Missouri for our summer vacation and it was well worth it. Joe was our guide and he was very knowledgeable about the area which made our paddle even more interesting and informative. It is reasonably priced and these unique and valuable wetlands have been protected by the RAMSAR Convention as “Wetlands of International Importance". It was my third time to southern Illinois and I enjoy checking out a new area or activity each time. I had been wanting to paddle the cypress swamps when I was down in Louisiana but the thought of alligators did not really thrill me so this was a nice option. We saw some turtles, egrets, cranes, etc. and since theAsian carp were active it provided a little excitement too (although it would be best if they were not there since they are very invasive) If you are looking for a nice paddle destination, I would highly recommend it. You can do a guided tour, as we did, or they do provide maps and you can paddle on your own. I would recommend booking a guided tour at least once so you learn some info on the area.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I wasn't looking for a guided tour, just a place to rent a canoe (or kayak) and spend a few hours exploring the Cache River. Mark and Joe were both friendly, laid-back, and knowledgeable. The Cache is easy paddling, although if you make enough noise, you'll scare up an Asian carp. The Cache is terrific: a cypress swamp (and a button bush swamp) all but unheard of so far north. All sorts of birds: bring your binoculars. Don't expect luxury from the rental office, and if you need a "modern" restroom, maybe stop at the nearby Cache River visitor's center first. Cash and check work, I think they don't even take credit cards. Great for all ages. Location: don't go to Ullin. The rental building is just off Long Reach Road, where it crosses the Cache. Google maps is accurate.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

We did a half-day excursion with our Boyscout troop over the Memorial Day weekend... Mark and Joe took us all out on the water and spoke extensively about the environment around the area and what wildlife to look out for. That was worth the price of admission... But when we stopped and they showed the boys how to make fire from a bow-drill... That was amazing. I was impressed that they kept all the boys attention. They brought enough for all the boys to try and make their own fires. A few boys succeeded and it was definitely a badge of honor they took home from the trip. Oh, and everyone was super friendly. Would go back again.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

Had a very good and relaxing time paddling the flooded Cache River with Mark. Abundant wildlife spotting opportunities - we saw Osprey, Turtles, Muskrat, Heron, Egret, Bald Eagle, Beaver Lodge (sans beaver) and much more. Even in flood conditions the area is beautiful and the river is very slow moving so it's easily navigable by the most amateur kayakers/canoeists such as myself. Mark is a very chilled out guy who knows his stuff, but if he can't answer a question he will Google it on the spot. Wholeheartedly recommend trying this place out for nature watching and drinking in splendid views.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

If you want a low key relaxing experience on the Lower Cache River, try a tour hosted by Mark Denzer of White Crane canoe rentals. His adorable dog, Finn, hops on board, along with Mark. Mark stopped several times to note historic cypress trees or to explain more about the ancient terrain. Make sure you know how to canoe! My husband and I were rusty. We had to catch up several times to Mark and the others that were on the tour. We really appreciated that Mark seemed more than open and appreciative of additional questions about the area, the flora and the fauna. Mark seems to care deeply and know alot about this area. We did not see too much in the way of wildlife which we had hoped we would, but it was just great to experience this largely unknown treasure of Illinois.

Been to White Crane Canoe Rentals & Guide Service? Share your experiences!