“Wonderful food, a little slow if you are going for lunch”

Nirvana Wine & Grillerie
Reserve with OpenTable
Nirvana Wine & Grillerie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 138 Restaurants in Vernon Hills
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Nirvana Wine & Grillerie is an original wine bar & restaurant that simply wants to share the best with people. We welcome friends into our lives through food & wine with the family owned wineries that we represent, small batch wines, and food that is as fresh and natural as possible. Nirvana has a scratch kitchen that offers artisan hand crafted cheeses, farm-raised and hormone free chicken, wild-caught seafood, all natural hand-made flatbreads, and fresh daily ingredients.
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Favorite dishes are "Everything you love in a chopped salad" with the cilantro dill dressing. This salad has everything you crave, crunch, a bit of sweet, cheesy, and I have had the tofu one time, and salmon another. Its good without it, but great with either. And I'm not a tofu person!

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Friendly environment. Mike our waiter was helpful and knowledgeable. Donny the owner shared some of his favorites with our table. Food was very well prepared and presented. Nice wine selection.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The venue was a nice change from the usual spots and the service from Jason was great. Nirvana has a huge selection of wines to choose from. I had the Chicken Tandoori Pasta and the portions were enough for two. It was a nice quite evening and I will be going back.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Looking for something new and fresh and different, I stumbled across Nirvana on Open Table. At a glance, their menu looked inviting with a great variety of options. Especially in the small plates space and shareables. We sat at the bar and settled in.

While not very busy, service was slow. I met a friend there and she already had an old fashioned. It was pretty good. I sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. The bartender seemed more interested in chatting with a high maintenance couple at the bar then have his head on a swivel. When finally served, I got the Manhattan. I liked it. It was good. Well executed. So, both cocktails got us off to a good start.

The wine list is extensive. And takes some time to peruse and find a reasonable price point. The bartender was far less knowledgeable of the wines then I would expect given the nature of the concept. I know my way around a wine list and opted to graciously decline his recommendation I change my selection. We ended up with a Pinot Noir as that was going to complement the food we chose.

We started with the stuffed mushroom appetizer. There were so many options that I had to start somewhere. Major disappointment. A dry, poorly marinated or seasoned Portobello mushroom cap with frozen spinach that had been simply reheated. It is supposed to have mozzarella cheese and a balsamic reduction. It was there, just not there. The overall execution of the dish and presentation was bland and disappointing.

And it didn’t get any better with the veggie flatbread. I would seriously compare it to a frozen flatbread that you could heat in your oven at home. It’s called the farmers market and I expected a plethora of fresh farm to table veggies and not a smattering of bland, seemingly canned, toppings. Even the “on the menu this looks great” everything chopped salad was, well, like making your own at a salad bar. The homemade dressing didn’t cut it either.

There is so much promise in the menu and many more items that had me curious. After this foray, I am not so sure it is worth fighting the insane Town Line Road and Milwaukee Avenue traffic and mall mania.

We skipped dessert.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Maybe a bit short-handed that night, but had a reservation and waited almost 10 minutes for host to appear at the front. Seated in the back thankfully, so that we could still converse even with the singer-guitarist who was seated near the front door (quite good).
Staff a bit forward (I remember the waiter from last time), and this time was no different. Amye was definitely on her own agenda, and we felt a chill in her speech and attention.
(If you don't order wine here, you might be frowned at!). The yellow fin tuna was excellent, but the entree salads non-descript, and the flatbreads a bit dry, maybe over-cooked. If you like wine, give it a try, otherwise maybe not.

Date of visit: March 2018