“Silly Name, Serious Food”
Review of Captain Porky's

Captain Porky's
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Wadsworth
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 November 2015

It's a rustic rib shack with a twist: Though a BBQ joint at heart, Porky's extensive list of fresh fish and ready-to-fry seafood - appetizingly displayed at a deli-style counter - is a cross between Bob Chinn's Crabhouse and The Fish Keg. This place is tiny and geared mainly towards takeout, but for those who prefer to eat in there are 4 picnic tables and a smattering of stools along a window ledge.

We enjoyed first-rate BBQ ribs. Adding $3.00 to the entree price got us garlicky vesuvio-ish potatoes, fresh slaw, and wonderfully moist cornbread. We washed this down with a nice selection of bottled craft beers. Wish we had saved room for one of the many enticing desserts. Everything here is priced right, given the large portions and excellent quality.

Reviewed 29 August 2015

If you are looking for something a little different this is the place to go. You can either eat in or do take out. Eat in is not fancy but the food is spectacular. This has got to be some of the best barbeque I ever had and the choice of salads is unique and wonderful

Reviewed 21 August 2015

Ok...good quantity. Fish was not fresh tasting should have ordered something familiar like fried shrimp. Service was good and friendly.

Reviewed 19 August 2015

I have spoiled the young folks at my bank branch by bringing them fried shrimp and rib dinners for lunch from Captain Porky's. Tis place, situated next to The Shanty, is a real find. The seafood is reasonably priced and the quality is outstanding. Strictly cleaned and deveined wild-caught shrimp, which are so damn flavorful its is not funny. I don;t eat pork, but the bank tellers have proclaimed their ribs the "best they've ever eaten". Maybe because its free, right? Nope, they've been driving from Lake Villa, Waukegan, Libertyville, Kenosha, and Evanston to eat at Captain Porky's and The Shanty. I love clam strips and most place have a lot more breading than clams, but its the reverse here. the place isn't much to look at and you might leave with the smell/aroma of rib smoke in your clothes and hair - but it is worth it! There are tables and benches to sit on if you want to eat your purchase there. Not the most comfortable looking set-up, but it does the trick. When I am on US 41 and in a hurry and don't want to sit down or add a tip to my meal cost - Captain Porky's is the ticket. Each time I am there they have great specials listed on a chalkboard, but I've stuck with what I am already hooked on. Sometimes change is good I guess, but I fiend for the fried shrimp. I did try their chocolate chip bread pudding and it was pretty good, although I prefer warm/hot bread pudding. It was flavorful and rich and the chips were real good chocolate, so that kind of "evened it out" for me. Prices are reasonable considering the quality. They also sell mason jars of wild honey and various made on site BBQ sauces to go. I got the honey and it was excellent. They also import and sell their own label of olive oil. Overall a great spot for a great meal on the go or dine-in.

Reviewed 26 July 2015

Being from the South as well as from the coast, we have high standards for BBQ and seafood. Captain Porky's is our go-to BBQ joint since moving to the upper Midwest.

There are always a variety of meats available. Of course, the standards like pulled pork, ribs, brisket, and chicken are there. But they also offer less common choices such as alligator, frog legs, and crawfish. They also offer some seafood, including scallops, catfish, shrimp, and other fish. The seafood is likely frozen, but hey, this is the Midwest, not the East or West Coasts.

I ordered the alligator po' boy. The lettuce and tomato were fresh. The bun was soft but not soggy, possibly one of the best sandwich buns I've had. Having had CP's delicious alligator before, I had thought I would go lighter this time with the sandwich, no fries. I received the fries anyway, but wasn't charged for them, so no problem. They were hot and crisp. And the alligator...oh, the alligator. Fried perfectly, crispy yet juicy, and in a generous helping. It was like getting an alligator sandwich with a side of alligator.

My girlfriend ordered the puled pork dinner. The pork was smoky, juicy, and delicious. The sauce seemed to be a fusion of Midwest and Mountain BBQ styles. Tangy, not too sweet, not too tomatoey. She also ordered a side of greens. The greens were cooked well, not mushy. They were seasoned with smoked ham. These greens are not spicy, but hot sauce is available if you'd like them spicy. Vinegar was light. Her meal also included a piece of cake-style cornbread. It was OK, a bit on the dry side.

Seating is very limited, a few picnic-style tables and a few stools at a window bar. If you come at a rush time, getting a seat may be difficult. We have, and have always managed to find a seat, but it may be chancy.

Captain Porky's is a must-stop for us when visiting Chicago from Wisconsin. We make a point of traveling off the toll road just so we can stop for lunch or dinner.